diazepam and alcohol

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just been prescribed diazepam along with sertraline to help me cope with depression and huge stress caused by very difficult home circumstances. It says don't take with alcohol and that diazepam stays in your body for 7 to 10 days. So does that mean that you have to give up alcohol altogether? I can't face that at the moment because life is so awful and a small glass or two with my evening meal helps keep me sane. I don't want to be punished further!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

if you dont take you can drink but if you take it then drink i wouldnt it really messes you up not a good idea

• Posted

What dosages are you on? I have a few beers here and there still but only take 2mg diazepam when am feeling anxious or on the edge and never more than 6mg in a day. I was on 150mg sertraline but due to weight gain that has being dropped to 100mg daily.

diazepam does have a long half life and if abused (used daily/regularly) the addiction will set in and tolerances will go sky high

• Posted

Just 2 mg diazepam as and when – I'm not worried about getting addicted – but I know it has a long half life so I'm hesitant to drink alcohol. I think I'll have to go back and ask my GP.

• Posted

Did you completed your prescribed doses or it is still running? It's usual to take diazepam for no longer than 2 to 4 weeks. Diazepam has a biphasic half-life of about one to three days, and two to seven days for the active metabolite desmethyldiazepam.

Yes you have to go back and ask your GP.

• Posted

Just be careful with the two they both affect things in a similar sort of way.

Also benzo's aren't the answer, do NOT take these for more than a week, you don't want to become physically dependant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.