Diazepam - are you reliant on it to ‘calm down ‘ and reduce bouts of anxiety?

Posted , 8 users are following.

i just wondered if anyone takes it regularly, (how many/mg per day or week) and finds it helpful? or does if give you unpleasant side effects?

Thanks

K

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Interestingly enough if you take diazepam long term it actually gives you the side effects such as sleeplessness and anxiety which it was trying to get rid of in the first place. You can only really take it for about four weeks without suffering withdrawal symptoms. Doctors are none too keen on prescribing it long term nowadays.

• Posted

Hi Karen - highly addictive. Not readily prescribed today. Initially they will work nicely, but too many for too long will wreak havoc.

• Posted

Thanks for your comment - what do you mean when you say 'wreak havoc' please?

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I have Diazepam but only to bring me out from seizures. Lately, my seizures have been quite controlled therefore my need for this medication has subsided.

In my case it is used to calm down brain activity.

Regards,

SteV3.

• Posted

hi Karen...I took diazepam (10mg 3xp/day) for years! it worked Very well in controlling my "outta control" anxiety/panic attacks!

the only reason I'm no longer taking it is cuz I've got a lung problem which is healing, but until that's taken care of, my doc won't prescribe! Hoping to start it again shortly as it's very effective for me and I've got no problems in taking it.

• Posted

Hi Karen - diazepam or valium is highly addictive. With the prevalence of opiate addiction and the deadly cost to human lives, such meds are not readily prescribed today. Occasional use with adequate periods of abstinence is okay.

Results of overuse include heart attacks, hallucinations, slowed pulse and coma. Lasting effects include depression, psychotic experiences, aggressive behaviour and the very real risk of further drug abuse as the patient seeks relief.

Holistic measures for anxiety include Chamomile Tea, St Johns Wort, Lavender and meditation. Hope this helps you.

• Posted

i have been given valium daily for four years and i think that i am having these very side effects now. i can take st johns wort due to warfarin so i am stuck please any other help. all the psychiatrist has done is throw different a.ds at me all this time none of which have helped. im now desperate

• Posted

wayne, what can i use aa long term diazepam, causing problems. not allowed st johns wort due to warfarin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.