Diazepam cause anger?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've recently been given diazepam... I had the most intense anger yester day and it scared me. I felt like I could actually hurt someone or myself. Has anyone else experienced this on diazepam and if so did it subside with continuation of taking them? I don't know what to do as they help massively for anxiety but I was so scared I was going to hurt someone when the anger took hold.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leanne,

I took/take Oxazepam which I think is pretty similar and haven't noticed any anger... I find it takes ages to work and now don't help too much with anxiety like it did..after the panic has subsided..I sleep for a couple of hours which is good with my insomnia..then I seem to be a bit anxious the next 24 hours or so...I was taking them every night for about 6months because of having to change ADs but have weaned off them now and only use them if I'm really struggling with a panic attack..

I guess you can only try taking a half a tablet or something next time and see how you feel...that's probably the only way you will find out if its the diazepam causing the reaction..just take a small dose as a trial..

I do find I'm pretty sensitive to some meds and can only tolerate an small amount because of side effects so perhaps you are the same with this

Hope this helps,

Gina

• Posted

It should be the opposite. It may be unrelated...
    • Posted

It does at first then after it starts wearing off I get so much anger x
  • Posted

I’m fairly convinced that diazepam make me very depressed. The first time I took them I actually planned commiting suicide. Obviously I didn’t go through with it as after a while the feelings lifted. I didn’t link it together until today, but every time I take them I feel far more depressed for a couple of days after. It’s very annoying because when I first take them I feel much calmer and it helps with the anxiety. I’m saying all this because it could well be the diazepam that made you react that way. Did it happen straight away or after the initial effects wore off? We are all different and react to medications differently. It might be worth speaking to your doctor although mine didn’t really believe me when I told her. I’m going to try the pharmacist next to see if they can may be suggest something else I could use like a sedative antihistamine. I need something on occasion to take the edge off the anxiety. 

• Posted

Bless you, thankyou for your reply... it semt to be when they was wearing off!! Since ive been cautious about taking them. It's not happend since but I've only been taking 1 a day if I really need it. I tried propranalol for anxiety but they made me more depressed and I was sensing things that wasn't their. If only their was a magic pill ay!!

• Posted

Hi Leanne,

I think its a side effect of taking Diazepam for sure. I get very angry and irritable with Zopiclone sometimes. Perhaps try to use a different medication, especially if you think you will hurt someone. Inform your doctor also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.