Diazepam for Anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi.

A year ago my GP prescribed 28 x 2mg diazepam tablets for extreme anxiety. I've hardly needed them (because I don't put myself in anxious situations anymore), and only used them here and there, but they've nearly run out.

I want to ask my GP if he can give me a higher dose, because even if I take 2 tablets at a time (so 4mg), it doesn't stop the anxiety, in fact it doesn't really help at all. But I'm worried he won't give me any more.

Does anyone else notice that a low dose doesn't help with anxiety? What dose works for you? Is your GP happy to increase your dose?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi there

If 28 x 2mg have lasted a yr, i dont undersand why a) you're anxious b) why you take them if you avoid anxious situations and c) your message !

You're GP wont have a problem if its been a yr though

• Posted

Do you know that these medications are addictive and if you require a higher dose that you may have become tolerant to them? GP's are under a lot of pressure now to not write prescriptions for benzodiazepines. Your GP may refuse to write another prescription, especially if you are not a high user of it.

The dangers of these drugs have recently been high lighted on the Dr Oz show in the USA.

There are many effective ways to deal with anxiety - probably the best of them is EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) I only say the best because it is an easy to learn self- help technique though you may need some help from a practitioner in the beginning. Other techniques that help are Kinesiology, Hypnotherapy, Psych K to name just a few. The thing is, you need to get to the root cause of the anxiety - there is always a reason for it - deal with the root cause and the anxiety goes away.

• Posted

Hi. She gave me only 6 pills 😦 --until I see her next Monday.

Half dose didn't work in the beginning, but last night I took half and it worked. Out of fear of running out, I said to my self as a mantra: "I don't care about anything" and then I spelled out each of my fears starting with "I don't care about " but meaning it, you know? Like I feel so run down by insomnia and anxiety that I just stop caring. But IDK, maybe when I'm out of pills evil insomnia will return.

The dose if the Temazepam is 10 mg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.