Diazepam help please

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi all

After suffering 2 prolapsed discs I was prescribed maximum daily dosage of tramadol and pregabalin plus 30 mg amytripaline 30mg diazepam and 15mg zopiclone, I'm surprised I could walk but I thought I was just fine! It was only when my son gave me a few home truths telling me I looked stoned, 100 years old and like a zombie (harsh but true!!) did I realise what a mess I was. Normally I am a bubbly person but all I wanted to do was lay and watch telly, so I decided to ct everything apart from the diazepam! Ouch!! After the first week, of physical symptoms of which the restless leg was the worst, came the awful depression. I have had 4 weeks off work because the anxiety has been bad and that's with me still taking the diazepam. Anyway I have dropped from 40mg diazepam to 20mg in 2 weeks. Way too fast I know but I just want off. I am slowing down now with the taper as I'm started to get scared as the last ct was hell on earth. However I don't want to follow the Ashton manual and still be on this in another 6 months. Anyone been through this that can offer any advice.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Jo ..from my experience the only way off valium is slowly..otherwise you are storing up terrible withdrawals 

i have been involuntary dependent on them for over 40 years..managed to get down from 30 to 10mg a day ..that's it..I woulld rather die than go through withdral again...so take care ....

• Posted

Thanks for replying. My  worry is that you read so many horror stories of withdrawal even after a slow taper. Can I ask Pat have you never suffered tolerence withdrawal after 40 years x
  • Posted

Hi Jo ..yes I know what you mean..I dropped my dose

to 10mg over a few years with no effect..however I came off them cold turkey when Id been on then for 3 years ( that's 40 years ago)..I went through a hell no words can explain..I would rather die than go through that again 

in my experience I have not come across anyone who does not suffer badly if they withdraw too quickly..the horror stories are true Im afraid

How long have you been on them? though time usually is irrelevant..valium gets its hold on you quickly.

Its a fact that it's harder to come off heroin than valium..so please be careful

Im here if you need more help 😀😀

• Posted

Hi pat

i think,I have a bit of a self destructive streak. I used to have a drink problem although I haven't had a drink for 13 years, I was on prozac for a while and just stopped no worries then I used to take vast quantities of lorazepam that the elderly ladies I cared for used to give me for my anxiety (they has jars full that they never used" I didn't even know what lorazepam was (this was about 25 years ago) and just stopped when I stopped my care work. I think my problem was I was always looking for life to be a little more exciting now I would give the world for drug free and normal!. This time round the pain relief was for genuine needs however I think the anxiety I now have is through all those years of messing my body around. I have been on and off diazepam for the last 5 years never having problems with addiction. This time though it's been about 6 months at 12mg and then abouts a month at the 40 now dropped to 20. Got to admit I'm scared!! Will you stay on 10mg now. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.