Diazepam Mixing Medications!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.

I have recently been put on a short course of Diazepam, apparently because my chest twinges and aches in my left arm are assumed to be anxiety related. I also take Omeprazole for my acid reflux, and Simvastatin for my cholesterol. I have not been advised if i can safely take all three medications around the same time at night. Can anyone offer any assistance?

Thank you.

Tony

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tony,

I do not use Simvasatin but do use Diazepam and Omeprazole.  The leaflet for Simvasatin will probably tell you to check with your GP or pharmacist when Diazepam is in the mix, however,  If you got the Diazepam from your GP the three Meds would have shown a contraindication for use together.  I do know that when using Diazepam and Omeprazole that the latter should be taken first and the Diazepam two hours later (according to my GP) and I think this is something to do with the time that Diazepam stays in the liver before it begins to be broken down and eliminated.  Also, the USA medical sites will inform you that a specific part of Diazepam is harder to eliminate in the liver (the levels stay higher) when used with Omeprazole.  If you are only a low dose then just leave the two,hours between Omeprazole and S...vast...,.  I am fine and this is my routine.  Hope this helps.  Pat D 

• Posted

Hi Pat.

Thanks for that, and it has helped a little. The Diazepam was prescribed by an out of hours gp i had to see yesterday, and i don't think he was fully aware of all my medical history. Last night i opted to just take the Diazepam which did at least give me a better night than i have of late. This morning i have taken one of my two daily Omeprazole....not sure yet what i will do tonight as i always tend to show caution when it comes to mixing my medication until i am certain there will be no bad effects or contradictions. As for my statin.....i will wiat to see if anyone can medically advise on here, or until after the Bank Holiday when i can then contact my pharmacy. Thanks again for your input. Means a lot. Tony

• Posted

..also Tony, Just a note of caution.  If you have been given a low dose of Diazepam and your symtoms are anxiety related, the drug WILL help, however, don't become too used to the calmness it affords because it is easy to want to stay on it...and it's a drug which bites back.  It is very easy to become dependent (too easy) and it's very, very difficult to wean off of it when the time comes!  I only use half a Diazepam at night but have been using it for years...don't go down the same road!  I have stopped for a couple of,years several times but find I drift back in times of needs. I have been lucky not to go to high doses but some folks begin with very low doses and before they know it they are dependent on the new found freedom from panic.  Just a friendly note of caution. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Like you I am cautious with Meds and your decision is sound...to,double check with your own GP.  The Out of Hours GP probably is not aware of your full history.  Good luck with it. Pat D
    • Posted

Hey Pat.

Regarding your note of caution. I am only on a 5 day course of one 5mg tablet every night. This should mean i won't become too quickly dependant on it as i will be discussing the matter with my own gp before any further prescriptions from different doctor's (providing i don't need another trip to the Out of Hours or even A and E if my pains are more than just anxiety related.)

My own gp at the beginning of the week had prescribed me a course of Beta Blocker (Propranolol) but the instructions concerned me because they state not to take, or see a gp if i have certain heart issues, and because i have been given no definitive diagnosis regarding my condition. Therefore, i am yet to begin taking these tiny little tablets.

I appreciate your sound advice and words of caution. It sounds like we both have similar ways of thinking. All the best to you. Tony

• Posted

Ihi Tony ..I take diazepam.simvastatin and Lanzoprazole instead of Omeprazole as it works better with the diazepam.there are no problems wth the statins 
    • Posted

Thanks Pat. This gives me a little more reassurance. Appreciate your feedback.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.