Diazepam with sertraline

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi everyone... hope everyone has had a good weekend... week 8 on sertraline 3 weeks on 100mg and still feeling awful... my heart is beating so hard and fast, i cant even relax and watch the tv... im back at my gp tomorrow for a review but its not getting any better... does anyone take diazapam to help them calm down? was thinking of asking my doctor... i take zopiclone too sometimes to help me sleep...

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi James, yes i took 2mg diazepam with sertraline to get thru the worst days when sert side effects were bad and i needed to feel 'normal'! work situations, job interviews! docs tend to ration it due to it being addictive and its meant for short term use, but its a godsend in those initial weeks on sertraline. it can take 3-6 months to really feel better on sertraline, so your doc should be sympathetic to your need to have some calm, normal days. good luck. PS 2mg just made me feel calm and confident, not at all spaced out...me, but on a good day!

• Posted

thank you... im hoping he will pescribe me with some tonight when im there... the sert is making me awful cant take much more

• Posted

Hi James, tell him exactly that. but i wouldnt be persuaded to change antidepressant - youre so close to it settling. from what i remember, i was maybe 70% good on 100 mg at 6 mths, increased to 150 for a while and clicked on that dose then decreased to 100 after about 6 months due to weight gain. was still good on 100. when it clicks youll just realise you feel well all of the time, sometimes really good! itll happen. but in the meantime 2mg diaz when you just need a normal day is such a relief! i was also given beta blockers for the racing heart/ increased bp/panic attacks and that stopped me having panic attacks and reduced the palps. maybe an idea to ask doc to check your bp and heart rate as you mention the racing heart. good luck later and dont be fobbed off, i think some docs dont realise how bad anti depressants are to start with!

• Posted

thank you julie i will tell him... im going to stick on the 100mg ive come this far plus i dont think i would be able to take another increase... this is only my 8th week total on sert... thanks for taking the time to reply.. hopefully ill get sorted tonight at the doctors x

• Posted

hi julie... the doctor gave me propranolol 40mg and 2mg diazpam... but only gave me 12 diaz tabs... stayed on the 100mg sert... hopefully will start to feel better soon

• Posted

that's great James...i take 40 mg propranalol these days, i took 120mg daily when i was really bad, it does help calm the racing heart. yeh my doc allows me 12 diaz every few months and thats all she's ever allowed, whereas a friend of mine was given 56 with every request! but at least you have some to get you thu the worst days and if you run out ask for more. hopefully before long youll settle on the sertraline and not need to increase. keep posting and let us know how youre getting on 😃

• Posted

thanks julie ill keep posting and hopefully they will be more positive as time goes on... thanks again for the advice etc 😃

• Posted

hi James...I think I'm one of the rare ones but I've been on diazapam 10mg 2x p/day for years. LITERALLY! I've Never had any problems, don't abuse them, (sometimes don't even need them).....but I have them and my anxiety is under control. And no, I don't fall asleep, they just keep me at a steady level.

We're all different and our bodies respond differently....but I'm just telling you what works for me!

of course it also helps to have a doc who's known you for years and trusts you.

• Posted

id be happy with that if my anxiety went away... dont think my doctor will go for it though... thanks for the support

• Posted

I also take 2mg diazepam as and when and have done since October last year I have gone from 50 - 100 - 150mg sertaline I also take phenalgram or something to help with sleep as the diazepam reallyreally doesnt make me drowsy and I dont want to use them for sleeping aids

• Posted

thanks tom im at the docs tonight so hoping he will pescribe me some diazapam

• Posted

Hey, I bn using diazepam for the last few days 3 x 2mg per day, think I feel a bit calmer, I can just about watch TV and sit today, know exactly what you mean. I'd say worth a go.

• Posted

Hi all,

I am about 7 months down my track of medicating with Sertraline 50 - after discussion with my GP we thought it best to not increase or change the meds. I still get a racing heartrate sometimes but I think I am feeling a little better. I sometimes take Diazapam 5mg on bad days but I do feel a bit groggy for an hour after taking them. Ultimately though if I didn't have the opportunity to change work environments I don't think I would have progressed this well so quick. My anxiety was brought on by 7 years of bullying in the workplace so I guess I'll always have an underlying issue of mistrust with people in general. The best thing for me has been that I now surround myself with positive and friendly people and try to keep away from any situation where bullies thrive. My message to anyone out there - keep looking up - things will get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.