Diazepam Withdrawal/Rebound once weaned

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was on 5mg of Valium per day for 4 months for anxiety following a traumatic birth of my daughters. I decided I wanted off it so weaned over a couple of months which was hard but managed to stop 3 weeks ago. The first week was fine but I seem to be getting my anxiety back again, is this just normal withdrawal/rebound behaviour and how long is it likely to last?

Symptoms are extreme tiredness, constant headaches, sweating, sore chest/back/shoulders, nasty taste in mouth, aggravated burning skin (feels like sunburn), spaced out feeling and eye floaters....I pretty much has this, though worse, at the height of my anxiety.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Its sounds like you the diaz was controlling anxiety , but you have not had therapy to sort out why you have anxiety and hence stop it.

Is therapy something you can do. Maybe GP can refer you

• Posted

Sorry, forgot to say seeing a psychologist too!! I have PTSD from a very traumatic birth, but is being addressed! All was good so think it's just rebound from valium withdrawal, guess would just like to know how long I may have to ride this out!!
    • Posted

I think if I am honest it should be days or weeks. If it longer you need to see GP again. There are alternative such as beta blokers and other drugs used to help relief from anxiety. I know GP but a family a close friend is a Mental health Ward manager
    • Posted

Thank you  😀 I'll ride it out for a while, so glad to be off the yucky drug that I'm prepared to wait...dont really want to be on anything else unless I really have too!!!
    • Posted

hi marianne

my name is paul, did you completely stop from 5mg a day or did you move onto 2mg and tapper,

if you have stoped and went cold turkey even only on 5mg a day, will have garanteed side affects,but like i say it is a small dose and i know xactly the kinda waves you will be riding right now!!!! "no fun is it "

anyway if you have went cold turkey all these feelings are withdrawl and if youre coping with that, well good on you, one thing to remember is that diazapam is a physical addiction and mental addiction,wich both occurr soon as a person takes valium for a long period, so dont beat youreself up, yes if you need help no shame in seeing youre GP for some addvice, but like i say if youre copping youre self then see how you go,and be proud of what youre doing!!!! because its a struggle few around you know youre having,there are certain things like suppliments and plain simple things like lots of exercise even just walking in the fresh air twice a day and general good fresh diet,plenty protien, and vitimans and minerals,which for this i use berroca its multi vitamans,get from any chemist or pharmacy,well i hope youre doing okay and come through this afliction as it sounds to be, which by the sounds of it iam sure you will,oh yeah grab a book aswell take youre mind somewhere else even if its just for 10 mins,it helps

all the best and keep it real

• Posted

Thanks so much for the advice Paul, that's awesome and very much appreciated. I did taper but relatively quickly as wanted off the meds!! I then quit at 1mg as knew I could do it, you're so right about the psychological addiction though, it's a horrible drug!!! I hate the withdrawal effects but they seem to be lessening again thank goodness...it's such a rollercoaster ride isn't it!!
    • Posted

thats such good new abbs fantastic infact!!!!!! Praise youreself every day for what youve done, forward it is then so good happy times and well being ahead,never go back but always remember they are the devils that can destroy everything arond you,youve fought youre demons and won, yeah it sure is i think ad rather be in a washing machine some times on full spin, gotta keep the humour,when you think about it down the line ah bit you acctually,feel that good about being off them you laff maybe with loved ones or close people that have been there for you, and laff even sometimes to youreself about the withdrawll and how crazy a ride it is,

ah well pal one good thing youre a stronger person now,

every cloud yeah!!!!!!!!

well done

Paul

• Posted

5 weeks off now and for the past couple of days I've been suffering chest/breast pain and every now and then a stabbing pain under my left rib, I had this a while ago then it went away but at the time was so scared I went to ER and had ECGs and cardiac bloods done, all which were good...is this likely to be withdrawal combined with anxiety as I have been more anxious of late? I'm also getting twitching muscles in my leg just above my knee which is driving me crazy?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.