Diclofenac

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor has just prescribed Diclofenac to ease the pain of my CS. I'm very wary about going down the road of strong painkillers, so wanted to know if anyone else has experience of this drug. If so, was it effective? Were there any side effects?

Any replies greatly appreciated!

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kevin,

Sorry to hear you have CS too.

I only took diclofenac for a month when I was injured by an Osteopath, just before I was diagnosed with CS and other things in my neck.

As I was in so much pain I can't really say if it helped or not, but I do not recall getting side affects and I was even on 3 other medications for my neck at the time.

The things is, we all have different bodies and reactions. I don't belive you would necessarily get bad side affects but theres always the odd person here or there that may.

If you are not in really bad pain, I would personally hold off on all medications - your body is going to build up a tolerance to them and I would personally only want to get on all that when the pain was too much. So far I only have stiffness and soreness, the pain has gone thankfully.

Kevin maybe it's an idea to talk to your GP again in a bit more depth, after all they are the experts and will also know your medical history.

Good luck

• Posted

I was diagnosed with CS at the age of 36. I am now 42. I have had to give up a lot of things - work, swimming, gardening,, driving. I need help doing phyiscal stuff like housework. I am currently attending a long term pain mangement programme. This introduces you to a number of skills that you can use to live with a chronic pain condition. They also teach you how to improve life despite your limitations. Unfortunately CS is a chronic pain condition. You only attend this sort of course when you realise that there is no sort of medical intervention.

There is nothing wrong with taking medication when needed, as long as you take it for the short period that is diagnosed. I have taken Diclofenac , and other medication, when required, but only for a short periods of time. I developed a shoulder problem recently, shoulder aggravated neck, neck aggravated shoulder. Doctor prescribed diclofenac, muscle relaxant, gastro protection, (I take an anti-depressant), but only for a period of two weeks. It worked.

The problem with taking ever increasing does of pain killers is - what do you do when the strongest painkillers (opiates) no longer work? Some people do get to this point.

I have been lucky. I have been able to manage my condition mainly without strong medication. I still take Ibuprofen 400 mg when needed.

The trick is to take your medication, whatever it is. early enough, and take it at regular doses.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Juiper

• Posted

Hi

I am 40 years old and have just been diagnosed with this. My gp did not require an x-ray she just said she recognised the symptoms. I was in a car accident 3 years ago and damaged my neck and right shoulder. I now have this and severe muscle wastage between the shoulder blades. I am due to go for physio this week to \"make things better\". My experience of physio is that it doesn't always work.

I have been using red tiger balm which I have found does help but hubby not too keen on the smell :lol:

Neck is really stiff to move and creaks and cracks a lot and apparently I have a bone or somethign sticking out as well - great fun !

• Posted

Many thanks for your replies folks. I took the Diclofenac for a month but they made no difference whatsoever - other than giving me a dry mouth and making me constipated!

I recently got referred to a Pain Clinic where the consultant reckoned my problem was \"muscular, NOT joint-related.\" He reckoned I'd torn a muscle in my neck and it just hadn't healed yet. \"How long would a torn muscle normally take to heal?\" I asked, \"6 - 8 weeks\" he replied. When I told him I'd been in pain for TWO YEARS he didn't say anything.

I came away from the consultation feeling quite angry and wondering if there was some sort of agenda going on around NHS resources i.e. I'm only 41, otherwise fit and healthy, haven't missed any time off work etc. The consultant's attitiude seemed to me to be \"Well, you don't seem too bad, now go away please and stop using up my time.\" Very disappointing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.