Diclofenac diorreah - can lopermide counteract?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 57 and had osteoarthritis in my right knee for over 10 years but keep getting told I'm too young for knee replacement - the pain the last 2 weeks has been excruciating and I cant walk more than a few steps without pain. Diclofenac works but gives me severe runs, can I take lopermide at same time as doctor told me to persevere with dicofenac till swelling reduces. Im away to Brazil in 7 weeks and Im terrified my knee will play up!!! Booked physio and acupuncture in private clinic, advice anyone please!!!!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I will not be much help but I've just had my 2nd THR

I was taken off diclofenic and put on Naproxen.

As for taking Lopermide at the same time I have no idea....sorry......What about asking your pharmacist and then doc but pharmicists are good I find.

Also explain about your trip and they might be able to sort you out with something long term

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Thanks Eileen - I had quick chat with my pharmacist, they said it should be OK, im just worried about effects - wondered if anyone else dealt with it the same. Whats THR Hip replacement? and whats naproxen? Is is better than diclofenac? thanks
  • Posted

THR just stands for total hip replacement. Afraid that this side effect is probably going to continue if you're on regular diclofenac but loperamide with it is fine. Naproxen is another anti-inflammatory medicine similar to diclofenac. Most people swap between them when pain isn't controlled. Not sure if the incidence of side effects such as diarrhoea is a lot different between the two though.

Tarun (hospital pharmacist)

• Posted

Thank you Tarun, i feel better knowing I can stay on diclofenac and combat the side effects! Its been a nightmare and I couldn't walk last 2 days or put any weight on my knee, 2 days of diclofenac has made 80% difference already smile Got Brazil in 7 weeks and no way could I fly for 9 hours with my knee the way it was!!!! any tips on how to manage pain and swelling whist im away? It is around 27 degrees there, is there any truth that warm weather means I might not suffer smile there will be plenty of walking so I'm taking a stick with me for support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.