Did anyone else develop a caffeine or alcohol sensitivity on Fluoxetine/SSRI?

Posted , 4 users are following.

It's been almost been 10 weeks of fluoxetine and I have way less panic, but still those anxious and scary feelings come over me... and are especially made worse (at least I think) when I drink caffeine or alochol.

Does anyone have a similar experience with fluox + alcohol or caffeine? Are you sensitive to alochol or caffeine while on an SSRI?

(Please note that I am super sensitive to chemicals since panic started, so my goal was to get to 20 mg, which I just went up to over the last 2 weeks.)

Caffeine - I didn't drink caffeine for many months when I started getting my panic attacks, and also I wasn't working anymore, so I didn't need a wake-me-up.Now that I'm working, I find myself getting so tired throughout the day. And I need energy. I love the taste of coffee, so now that I'm back to work, I started drinking it again. Maybe 1 cup a day. I realized heat flashes, anxiety, shaky hands, and inability to focus started up (similar to my first waves of side effects on fluox) only after the start of my caffeine binge.

Alcohol: Makes me super sleepy or feel like I'm drunk when really, I've had maybe 1 drink at the bar. I am a smaller girl, but I usually can hold my own with a couple drinks. Maybe since the loss of control scares me with panic now, I am just more prone to feeling alochol entre my system and I get too scared to keep control? Not sure. But everytime I drink, I feel drunk pretty quickly and I get turned off and want to stop becaue I am honestly scared I will lose control.

Unstable. Jittery. Anxious. A mess. Stressed out. Cannot focus. Feeling like a loss of control/panic is coming on.

Can alcohol/caffeine sensitivity be a real thing on fluox?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Totally agree with you I have also cut out caffeine and alcohol . When I have one cup of coffee the effects are really strong. I had a small glass of wine at the weekend and felt like I had the bottle . The effects seem to mulitiply.
    • Posted

Thank you for responding!!! All I needed was someone to relate to me. I googled the crap out of this issue and didn't find much relatability.

I wonder why this is for us? Do we have a certain chemical make-up that, paired with fluox and panic/anxiety/dp... just makes us incredibly sensitive to other chemicals?

At 22, being a lightweight is NOT fun or attractive. It scares me to drink anyways, so I am always the "un-fun one" who is never quite participating when we are out.

I am so tired and yet a kick of caffeine sends me over the edge. I can't figure out how to help my tiredness now that I'm working again.

Anyways... Thank you for responding!!!

• Posted

Your welcome . I was thinking this only today after drinking a very strong cup coffee I really didn't want to drink . I have been on fluoxetine for 14 weeks and just upped my dose also so I am still having some side effects still . I am also weary of drinking alcohol in case I loose control and it the hangover the next day that puts me off too .

• Posted

Hmmm thanks you have actually bought this to my attention, I'm not big on tea and coffee, but I do drink alcohol, I I do lay shake when relaxing, which incidentally I find really difficult. 

I was was told not to take alcohol at all while on these drugs! I can't stop but maybe you should go decaf and not drink if not drinking doesn't bother you. X 

• Posted

I find I am more flighty and energetic with stimulants when on fluoxetine yes. Ask your doctor about propranolol to slow you down so you panic less. Mind you, I went on fluoxetine for mood swings, anxiety & depression, I was put on propranolol but it only calmed me a bit, and it turned out I had reacted in a hypomanic state from the fluoxetine and have been diagnosed with cyclothymia.. just concerned me a little that you are so anxious and jittery rings so many bells on how I was. Hope you find some stability soon. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.