Did anyone experience night sweats/back pain with mono?

Posted , 7 users are following.

It's now going on month two of having these terrible virus. I experience times where I feel better and then feel sick again. But, within the last week, I have woken up sweating three times and I have the worst back pain ever! Has anyone else ever experienced this? I looked up night sweats and the first thing that came up was that it's a sign of HIV or cancer and I am completely freaking out!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Madison, yes to both. Night sweats is pretty much what everyone suffers from at some point, they tend to go away or become less frequent. I don't have them anymore, but when I have a bad relapse I tend to get them. The aches in your body...well I can't really think of a place it has not impacted. My neck and legs have probably suffered the worse, but i have suffered with mild discomfort in my back. Easier said than done, but try to stay away from doctor Google. The only way to determine other conditions is to have it come out from tests with your doctor, but what you are describing is very normal with glandular fever.

• Posted

no ! one of the main symptoms is night sweats ! please dont worry ... its very very common and yes theres are kinds of weird symptoms ... for instance my teeth are soooooo sensitive . this virus attacks your nerve endings so everything hurts .

• Posted

Hi Madison,

This is all very common with mono, My daughter had night sweats a lot and the achy back is terrible, this is very common with mono, It makes you feel so terrible that it makes you think it must be something more, but it is just the way this terrible virus runs its course, I hope it leaves you soon.

• Posted

Madison,

I had night sweats, too. They weren't every night, but I've had them at least a dozen times in the 5 months I've been dealing with this virus. I still get them when I have a relapse.

Try not to stress, it makes this thing worse.

• Posted

Hi Madison,

I hope you are feeling a little more settled today, just wanted to let you know still thinking about you and believing you are going to get well again and get through this. These night sweats can be common through this virus, it's not easy to stop your mind running all over the place but please be assured that this virus makes you feel awful and can be so bad and go on for such a period it convinces you something else is going on, when actual fact it is just the mono caused by the virus.

You are going to get through this and get well again - I truly believe that trusting God and praying for Jesus' healing for you.

Craig

• Posted

Hey Madison. I see this thread is a little older so I hope you're doing better now. Mono gave me really bad night sweats, oddly they started farther into my illness like around the 4 week mark. Night sweats are a huge anxiety trigger for me. I'm 34 ans when I was 19 I was having panic attacks in my sleep and didnt know that was why I was waking up drenched in sweat. Around that time webmd was a newish thing and I of course looked it up and everything said HIV. I convinced myself I must have it bc NOTHING comes up in searching night sweats still to this day, except horrible illnesses. 2 weeks ago when this started, I lost it. I've been on an anxiety high like never before. Convinced myself I have lymphoma. I have barely been able to function the last 2 weeks bc of the anxiety, I've poked and prodded my body so much that I have bruises right now and puffy lymph nodes from irritating them they werent even swollen to begin with and I've lost almost 10lbs bc I feel sick to my stomach when I'm anxious!! I had the classic mono onset symptoms and a positive monospot test around the 5 weeks mark of the illness but my titers in the blood work were a little funky, not totally typical mono results, so that set me off too. After much research I've learned the titer testing can have so many different results depending where in the course of the illness you are, and many medical professionals dont even like doing it bc of the varying results people get. My early acute titer was negative bc I was past the 2 to 4 week mark. The titer that implies past or recent infection was positive but the one that implies you have entered recovery phase was still negative. My doc explained that I could be suffering from a reactivated mono or I just wasnt enough into the recovery phase yet for the other titer to be positive and I read that 10 to 20% of people actually never get the antibodies that raise the recovery titer. I always tell people dont Google its evil but it helped me understand my test results! Liver and spleen blood and cbc were normal so he said I luckily had a milder case, my biggest symptom was a relentless 5 week sore throat and I tested positive for strep at the 4 week mark after 2 negative strep tests around the 2nd and 3rd week. So my throat took the brunt of this virus. I was so mad an er doctor kept saying "wow your throat looks very viral!" But didnt think to do a mono test after I told him my throat hurt like I was swallowing knives for 4 weeks! I think my age made doctors think I couldnt have mono but I've never been exposed to it, no one I have ever known has had it and been around me. My immune system was already in the crapper bc I had hand foot mouth disease in October which does a number on your immune system. Since then I have gotten every illness that has come near me! I always thought oh mono you get really tired for a few weeks and then you're fine. Holy cow no, I am realizing how encompassing this virus is and the typical descriptions of it on Google searches are so vague and general and not really even close to describing what really happens! I found this forum bc I was like omg I need to see if other people felt how I have been or if theres something else wrong with me! Yeah turns out everyone on forums have very different experiences than the basic symptoms outlined on google! Anyways I hope you see this being that it's an older post and I hope you're doing well!!

• Posted

Oh Jenna,

I really hope so much that things settle soon and that the awful and intense phase of this virus can pass over very quickly, remember it's very normal still to be feeling this way within the first 3 months and that it does get better, sometimes it just takes a bit of time and that was the case for me but got there with time and only thanks to God.

You're so right about googling things, yet it's so hard not to do also as you just want to find stories / facts that encourage you and reassure you, but of course it tends to be the scare stories that people post and it can cause so much worry and distress. But please know Jenna that the vast vast vast majority of people with mono make a full recovery (even if it takes a bit of time) and don't have any other complications or develop any other illnesses. It's totally understandable to be feeling as you are, I remember feeling exactly the same and having all the same worries and fears about it possibly being something more sinister, but Jenna remember what you're going through is a normal course for mono and that it does get better, even though I know that doesn't help much when you're experiencing the intense symptoms each day over a period of weeks / months. But things won't always be as they are now, truly it does get better - and that's coming from someone who was so down and depressed with it and at one point thought my body could never been strong or resilient or able to cope with any kind of normal levels of stress or activity again - but your body does have amazing powers of recovery and will get to grips with this thing, so hang in there.

Remember it's so important just to rest as much as possible at this stage Jenna, I know it must be hard when you have a family, thinking about you and remember that YOU ARE going to get through this and get better - I truly believe that. Of course don't hesitate to keep checking in with the doctors and discussing any fears / worries / concerns, and hoping they can put your mind at ease. I wish I had a pound / dollar for every time I went to the doctor's when I had and was recovering from mono.

And remember it can be caught at any age - there are lots of people on the site who were much older than their 30s when they got mono, and I was the same didn't know anyone who had the virus either, it can be transferred in many subtle ways, even just drinking from an unwashed glass / cup in a restaurant or crazy things like that.

Hang in there Jenna - you ARE going to get through this and back to full health again, thinking about you.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.