Did anyone have abnormal liver tests?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, first time on here. I've always been quite gassy and my stomach has always rumbled and gurgled but on the whole I've had quite a strong stomach. A few months ago I started to get very loose stools in the morning when I was on an early shift and ate breakfast (usually Weetabix) as soon as I got up, never so bad if I was more leisurely on a late shift. I then started to get quite bad abdo pains, specifically ones that were typically gallbladder pains - right side under ribs radiating to back. Then had one or two episodes of alarming diarrhoea, one of which was bright yellow and the right sided pain disappeared for 2 days. During these 2 days I had an upper abdominal ultrasound which showed normal pancreas, liver, gallbladder and kidneys. Last week I developed nausea and very dark urine and was sent to emergency assessment where blood tests showed my liver was "working too hard". I'm now awaiting a CT scan. I'm not nauseous now and my urine is lightening a bit by the day. I've just read that coeliac can affect liver tests, I never knew this. Just wondering if any of this sounds like the start of anyone else's coeliac journey? I've also lost quite a lot of weight but with a combination of worry and the recent nausea I'm probably eating less than half I would normally eat so this may not be entirely unexplained. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I didn't have any typical physical signs of coeliac disease (only certain symptoms that disappeared when I went gluten-free) tho I did have a gurgly stomach. I didn't lose weight, I didn't have pain on eating gluten or anything like that which probably explains why it took so long to appear on the radar.

I'd had bizarre liver results for a few years which was originally put down to having a fatty liver. However one new doctor sent blood tests for tTG which was elevated and a biopsy eventually confirmed the diagnosis.

If you look on the NICE guidelines - it suggests that unexplained elevated liver tests should trigger investigation into possible coeliac disease

Hope you are coming to terms with being gluten-free

• Posted

Thank you Ros. There are so many possible symptoms and I have a lot of them but not all. I suppose I.just have to wait for my scan. It's reassuring to hear coeliac can cause liver issues, I never knew that. Compared with some of the alternatives I'd welcome coeliac!

• Posted

It's one of the easiest life-long conditions to treat - just go gluten-free. No medications to take, no invasive procedures, just diet - pure and simple.

Admittedly it takes some getting used to, having to read every label etc and eating out can be tricky at first , haven't had a take-away since diagnosis, but after a while it becomes second nature and you get to know what you can and can't have and of course there are lots of foods/dishes that are naturally gluten-free anyway so it's not all doom and gloom. Just keep clear of "friends" who can't see what all the fuss is about and can't understand why you can't just have a little bit.

• Posted

hi ceri, i have recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease. i don't have liver problems well so i've been told. i was chronically constipated, very sore bowel and it took blood tests then a camera and biopsies to absolutely confirm it was coeliac disease not anything else. i would ask about your liver my tests weren't the same.

• Posted

Hi Sam, I'm awaiting an urgent scan because of the liver results. I was just surprised to read this morning that abnormal liver results can be a sign of coeliac so I suppose I'm clutching at straws because I don't like some of the alternatives. I have a good friend with coeliac and her main symptom was extreme joint pain, it's a weird disease for sure.

• Posted

hi ceri, i don_t know how long you have been waiting but it took 12 years for me to finally get a coeliac diagnosis. the lack of diagnosis has ruined my life. no children, severe depression - i nearly took my life last year. my marriage has seen me ill all the way through, need i go on? i think your health is your absolute priority. i wish you lots of luck. i hope you get to the bottom of your health problems, keep in touch!

• Posted

Thanks Sam, only just seen your reply. Sorry to hear you've had such a bad time, hope things start to get better for you now you have a diagnosis.

• Posted

h iceri, that's ok i am improving slowly. i will be ok as long as i'm strict.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.