Did anyone here recover permanently from their neuralgia and how long did it take?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Since I had Shingles and afterward, post herpetic neuralgia (PHN) I've been meeting up with other people who had it.  

I have understood that it can take a year to get rid of it and sometimes several months.    I unearthed some studies on the web where they listed statistics for what percentage of patients fully recover and what percentage never get over it.  

Since I started reading these forums, I notice a lot of posters who describe ongoing discomfort that they can't get rid of.   

Is there anyone here who has had PHN who is fully recovered?  

Right now, I am on a rigid diet and exercise regimen with a low dose of Amitriptyline.  

Even though my provider talks about PHN going on indefinitely, I was hoping I could get rid of it and be functional again.  

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This afternoon, I took advantage of some hot weather and went swimming in the river. The fall weather had it ice cold.

The combination of cold and strenuous exercise brought improvement so my discomfort is near zero. Exercise helps to regulate your blood sugar level and cold helps postherpetic itch.

I hope other people can use this information to heal their own PHN.

• Posted

Hello

i have dine research myself and at the long run its hard to get rid of it! I Have had shingles since february and had it till march and then was clean till last week! I really got depressed because i thought it was gone! ALways do have nerve pain but mostly mild! I Have read that a regimen of vitamins D and B12 do help the shingles and the ammune system! DID yiu get the ahingrex vaccine, I havent because i have seen people had it and are still suffering with shingles!!!

• Posted

i feel for you.

right minute i am having a massive tack of itchning on the right side of my calp,

i know the worst thing is to cratch it buy i couldnt help

this is almost 7 years phn in the scalp region.

i cant live lime .

i hope to die,.itsill never end

• Posted

Have you tried an ice pack to control the itching? If you do not have a good ice pack, you can make one with a wet wash clothe and a zip lock bag. You wet the clothe, put it in the freezer and keep it with you all the time including in public and when you sleep.

• Posted

I so agree! Icepacks were my go-to PHN reliever for over a year after the shingles and I still use them occasionally when I'm having a rough day.

• Posted

I climbed a mountain today and almost forgot that I even had neuralgia.

It has a way of coming back for a few minutes and then goes away again.

I carried my ice pack around and used it in my car but never brought it with me when I got out to go anywhere.

So far, I've done well even though I've had some severe episodes over the last few days.

I think my intake of sugar has something to do with the relapse so I'm being more strict about my diet.

• Posted

Good for you! 30 minutes ago i was almost in tears, pacing instead of eating dinner. now I'm sitting comfortably in my living room. it's hard to remember that it will get better. Anyone who saw me competing in ballroom dance event 9 days ago wouldn't believe I'm the same person.

• Posted

As I have stated before, some people get PHN for months, some for years, some for life. It can range from severe to mild like in my case since I got ophthalmic shingles, the worst type, in July 2013. To my knowledge there is no medical cure for PHN. One has to live with it or tolerate it unless it goes away by itself. Hopefully, there will be a cure for it someday. One other note: Consult with your medical provider on getting the new Shingles vaccine Shingrix. This new vaccine (2 doses required) has a 90+% of preventing shingles or the return of shingles. Best wishes to all.

• Posted

I have already signed up for the Shingrix vaccine and have been waiting for it for about two months. There is a waiting list about fifty miles long for this shot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.