Did anyone take antidepressants while pregnant?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Just worried about side effects....

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I haven't, but the reason I am now on fluoxetine is because I want to get pregnant at the end of the year and my doctor told me this is the best one to take - they know the most about the effects that this has on pregnancy. Obviously no anti-depressant is better but if you're anything like me then that's not an option!
    • Posted

Did the dr say that he seen a lot of side effects from Prozac in babies?
    • Posted

He said that there would be minimal side effects, if I were you I would speak to your doctor? My cousin was on citalopram when pregnant, and the doctor said the baby would be fine but sluggish. She did come off half way through though because of this...
    • Posted

Thanks my first appt is May 1 so I will see what they say. I'm on it for depression and we weren't trying because I had a traumatic miscarriage at 5 1/2 months 2 years ago and I went on Prozac. I was on it 2 months and it worked amazing so I stopped and been great till dec I had another miscarriage now I'm worse than ever. I was on birth control so I don't know how I'm pregnant and I just started prozac 4-5 weeks ago and I'm 6 weeks. I really don't know if it's hormones or depression still that's making me miserable. I have a 5 year daughter but never had a problem with depression till after the miscarriages but I've always had slight anxiety. I know I need to be on the med because im already worried to death about this baby and driving myself crazy sad
    • Posted

Oh my, that sounds terrible! Can you not see the doctor any earlier? It's not good for your or the baby if you are so worried - and there is another one you can take which is almost as good I believe. They will also offer you extra monitoring etc. - my sister was monitored thoroughout her pregnancies just because I have depression and anxiety, even though she's never been ill!

I don't know if 4-5 weeks is enough time to feel changes though? I was on mirtazapine before and thought I was fine on that, and only switched to make sure my body was used to it before we start trying. Almost straight away I felt so much better and calmer - even on mirtz I would get upset and freak out a lot but in the two months I've been on floux I just feel so much more chilled out. I'm not sleeping so well but that proves it even more because usually I'm a demon without sleep!

I would speak to your doctor or a mental health professional about your options as soon as you can and make sure they let you know all the details about the effects it has on you and the baby. And most of all, do everything you can to make yourself feel better if you can (I know that's hard!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.