Did Bloating/Burping gone after gallbladder removal ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I like to hear from folks who have removed their gallbladder for gallstones/low  functioning gb who had bloating/burping symptoms and if it got resolved after removing gallbladder or not?

I have a non functioning gb initially and later developed gallstones. currently have severe bloating and burping for many years. I'm hoping removing my gb will solve atleast this burping and bloating problem. Appreciate for your replies.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

I had my gallbladder out 3.5 months ago. It was only functioning at 13%. I had no gallstones. I feel amazingly better. Not as much gas and heartburn. The strangest thing to me of all is my stools are finally formed again and Bowel movements are regular. For over 3 years I had non-formed fatty stools. My nutrition is back and I have energy. When they took my gallbladder out it was layered in white scar tissue. 
    • Posted

good to know you are doing great and with energy. Are you able to eat protein foods/good fats or  you have food restrictions?
    • Edited

I had to be careful at first, but I am now eating whatever I want, but I know this is not the case for everyone. I do still get nauseous though about once a week. If I eat something too rich with a lot of creme, sometimes I get indigestion, but I figure that is pretty standard. The first 6 weeks after surgery were challenging in terms of what I could eat. 
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed September 13, 2017. I have no problem with burping but I am always bloated after eating. I eat several times a day, very small meals and no fat. I drink a lot of water, no sodas, black coffee, hot tea and iced tea no sugar only a little lemon. The explosive diarrhea has subsided to maybe once or twice a day but the bloating gas has to go somewhere. So I have horrible flatulence! Surgery was very smooth and easy. Never took a pain pill and followed the 3 page diet the general surgeon gave me. Have seen gastrointestinal physician and had a CAT scan and multiple blood test and stool test. All normal. I have even had an MRI. My internist gave me a prescription for Lomotil which is wonderful for cramping and diarrhea but nothing has helped withbloating and flatulence. 
    • Posted

So you had bloating and burping earlier, and after gb removal the bloating alone still exists ?  
    • Posted

Yes but that is just something, especially the bloating, that goes along with gallbladder removal.  Usually if you take smaller bites of food and chew slowly that will sometimes help with burping. Also certain foods  when they get into your stomach they create gas. Try to see if something your eating is giving you more gas. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.