Did CBT Work for you?

Posted , 3 users are following.

In about a weeks time I am going into my third course of CBT,

the first course i had was good and i learnt a lot from it and still practice what i learnt. The second course not so much, I did not click with the therapist.

This time, I have got goals I would like to do.

1- deal with obsessive thoughts that convince me that the thought will come true.

and

2- deal with what if thoughts.

I know both of them I struggle a lot of with .

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

CBT can certainly help by making you more aware of your automatic reactive thoughts. It also teaches you to challenge those thoughts, often over-generalizations, black-and-white thinking, by matching them against experience.

The only problem with CBT is that it is not useful for changing the underlying emotions that fuel reactive thinking. It is where Mindfulness Therapy excels - it not only teaches you how to break free from thinking patterns but also allows you to transform the underlying emotions such as anxiety and fear that feed reactive thinking.

• Posted

Thoughts and the mind is like a ship, we can either let it run its course or we can put implementation into our thoughts, the thoughts shouldn't control us, we should control the thoughts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.