Did I have a heart attack?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Bloody hell, think my life just flashed before my eyes. Took a second dose of cold and flu tablets after having flu symptoms for four days.  First day just a runny nose, second day chesty cough and the usual cold symptoms, third day same again, fourth day I started having pain similar to trapped wind all day since the early afternoon along with hot flashes, dizziness, weakness in my legs. Coughing also caused pain in my chest.  About an hour after taking the second dose, I stood up I  felt like I was going to faint and then all of a sudden, I’m just violently sick.  Prior to this, I did feel a dull  tightness around my heart which is still there. Heart rate was 113bpm beforehand and slightly lower afterwards.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

There was no pain radiating from the centre of my chest to my arms or jaw. The chest pain all afternoon was fairly frequent but occasionally stopped. Putting a hot water bottle over my chest helped slightly for whatever reason. Did stop working at times though.
  • Posted

Thomas I am thinking you may have this pain im your chest due to cough. Your body is fighting an infection so that's why you feel so weak. Also the muscles are prob very tight due to repetitive motion when you cough and I imagine the hot water bottle has helped it, as heat is great for tight muscles. I genuinely believe you did not have a heart attack, you are just ill and anxious. As a nurse said to me before - answer yourself a question if this is the worst chest pain in your life? What is it on scale 1 to 10?

Could you go to your GP? They would examine you and maybe give you some meds, and you will also get your peace of mind. I suffer from chest tightness on pretty much daily basis, ECG 3 times, bloods done, chest xray twice, perfectly fine heart, despite from that I still have pains but at least I know it's not heart attack!

• Posted

Thankyou for the peace of mind! Irony of this is that I took those tablets to clear my blocked nose but after being ill, my nose is mostly unblocked. Tablets didn’t seem to help much before i was ill. Just had diarrhoea which has slightly helped me to feel better. Dizziness has gone. Pain in chest when coughing. Chest pain that felt like trapped wind seems to be sort of relieved by a hot water bottle. In terms of pain, it’s definitely not the worst i’ve had. Weakness in my legs seems to of subsided somewhat. Tightness over the top of my left breastbone seems to of subsided as well. 
    • Posted

Seems like you are getting better smile There is usually critical point during infection and then it just gets better. You would have muscle pains all over your body if you have flu or cold, but they will go away when u start feeling better. I can tell you that I was perfect all yesterday morning and all of a sudden I started feeling crap after lunch - heart pinches, tight chest, difficulty catching proper breath, dizzy, anxious. It turned out to be at 9pm last night very suddenly I started having sore throat and more muscle pain! So I must have got some cold too, this is the 3rd or 4th time within a month. And I feel like that every time, feels like anxiety is back but it's actuallu my body fighting infection and I just get all the aches since I am not fully out from anxiety yet. I bet ya normally we wouldn't even notice those pains or at least they wouldn't be that intense! Get well soon smile

• Posted

I don't know which tablets you took but most cold and flu remedies can push up your blood pressure.

• Posted

Well I still feel unsteady when I walk, still have the chest aches and my liquid diarrhoea doesn’t seem to be going away for some reason. 
    • Posted

I think the best for you will be to go to your dr and get checked by him. I am not really concerned that it coukd have been a heart attack as I think you would know that it was that. Diarrhoea can persist with anxiety for a long time, mine lasted 10 days and there was nothing that was working. Chest pains I have on and off for days for the last 4 months too. I actually wonder do you have chest pain at night and very first thing in the morning or do you develop it during the day?

I think going to dr would give you peace of mind and it will help your anxiety to go away or at least subside since all you can think of all the time is that you maybe have had a heart attack! No wonder your body acts like this as anxiety often mimics somatic symptoms of different conditions. I also am wondering if heart attack was something you were concerned about before?

• Posted

Well I don’t usually have any of these symptoms due to anxiety. The chest ache is consistently throughout the day and at night. Gets worse when I need to go to the toilet but all that diarrhoea coming out doesn’t give me much relief. I have seen my GP and he thinks it’s viral but is it possible that this could be bacterial? Cold and flu tablets should of worked by now.
  • Posted

For some reason I’ve got this dizzyness and weakness in my legs when walking about and this chest pain is reoccurring.
  • Posted

You need to go to the ER Thomas.  I don't understand why you're asking about your symptoms here if a doctor can define if it's a heart attack or not.

If you have already gone to the doctor and they said you're fine then I'm sure it's just anxiety.  

I heard that if you have a heart attack it feels like an elephant crushing your chest.  So if you're wondering if you have had one, I don't think you've had one.

God Bless!

Gerard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.