Did I have a nervous breakdown?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've just got home from having an exam, and I think I might of had a nervous breakdown (I'm not quite sure).

Here is the situation....

I feel like I have been suffering from social anxiety since I started University. In the second year I started attending less lectures as I got really nervous about being in such a big silent room full of people, and this past semester (in my final year) I only attended one lecture. Regardless I have still got good grades, but I just can't seem to handle being in a room full of people.

Today I had my first (and thankfully, last) exam during my time at University. In the early morning I was so nervous about the thought of being in the exam room with a bunch of people that I decided to go to my departments reception to see if I could do the exam in a separate room on my own. I had already been shaking before I got there, but when I went to ask I feel like I just broke down. I began shaking much more, and I could barely talk and was crying. I have never felt like this before, and I have no idea what came over me. I was just so nervous! 

Is this a nervous breakdown? Or, is this something that usually happens with anxiety before? I have had shakes before and upset tummy, but never have I been scared enough that I would cry. It felt rather embarassing too, crying in front of people I don't know and one of my lecturers. Should I go to see a doctor as I have never been about my anxiety?

Thank you for any advice!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes you should see a dr. All those are perfect examples of General Aniexty Disorder and pre panic attack. I was like u except I was a supervisor of 178 ppl and was constantly under stress and pressure, 8 lines ringing off the hook and ppl cussing at me and then two way radio communications with all my school bus drivers. My heart began to pound so hard one day I thought I was having a heart attack and rushed to the er where I was told after numerous exams it's anxiety. I was a driver/supervisor for 20 years. Now I'm disabled don't go out unless my spouse or one of my kids go with me.
  • Posted

Hi Charlii,  I dont think this was a nervous break down, I think it was a severe anxiety attack.  I done a course (3 x 1hr sessions) call Mindfullness Course.  It helps you to focus where you are, focus your brain etc...  I know that this sound a bit daunting because this is done in a room with alot of people, but they are all in the same/simmilar situation and no-one talks except for the expert at the front of the room. Its completely free and they teach you simple breathing/thinking excercises for you to do at home. I found it really beneficial.  Look into it, it cant do you any harm.
  • Posted

I have suffered from this having generalized anxiety disorder.  It is agoraphobia, when we feel very nervous in crowded places.  Me, I would be afraid of having a panic attack in front of everyone, thus my anxiety got worse. Thus, I had to flee.  There is a method call "flooding" It is where you feel the fear and anxiety and don't give into it.  You can courage from learning that you are lying to yourself about what you fear.  Eventually you get to a point, yes this is fear, I feel the fear, but I am not getting hurt, or nothing is truely threatening to me, except the thoughts I am having about the situation I am in.  You consult your doctor, run some blood tests to rule out any physiological things that could be contributing to your anxiety, I highly recommend it.
  • Posted

OK, that sounds like anxiety. I would just keep telling yourself that that is what it is & you're strong & CAPABLE enough to get through it. That's all the advice I can give. Sorry hon. Hope everything gets better. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.