Did I have a stroke, and would I be feeling after effects 3 years on?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 58 - quite heavily overweight (but had weigh loss surgery 10 years ago).   I work in a professional office in quite a busy, stressful and responsible job - which centres around copywriting, I  have always been articulate- which obviously makes my concerns even more worrying.  

I have had (in the past three years) some very emotionally devasting personal problems in my marriage too.

About three years ago I think I may have had a small stroke - I am not sure.  I was standing in my kitchen talking to husband, and all of a sudden a lost balance completely, felt very very sick, i grabbed the tap as I felt the whole world tip upside down, I kept saying to my husband that I felt really really ill, I think my legs were going to give way and I think I may have tried to be sick in sink.  After a minute or two it subsided and I managed to get to bed but I was left with an horrendous migraine that lasted a couple of days and felt very washed out.

Skip to present day - I now find that I am forgetting how to pronounce words - or they come out slightly wrong, and I am also forgetting words in the middle of a sentence.

I don't know if I had a stroke, or I have dementia or its stress...?  Any thoughts?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle, 

Whereabouts in the world are you? Hopefully in the UK or somewhere with a similar health service.

Assuming you are the first thing I would do is head straight to your GP and ask to be referred to the nearest stroke clinic, as I always say when dishing out advice..I am not a doctor you should speak to one if you have any concerns.

It is of course worth noting that you mentioned being 58 and quite stressed both at work and home and we will all recognise that feeling of "why did I come upstairs? what is this woman that I have known for ten years called? That furry thing that runs round the house, what's it called..oh yes a cat" it goes with being in our fifties and is natures punishment for spending our children's inheritance.

• Posted

I was confused before Jason's comment, but now more so. I agree with see a doctor, but " its something we all go through in our fifties" !!  That's flippant  and not relevant to a discussion like this. The initial symptoms could be anyone of a   number of things...  Balance issues from an ear disorder, upset stomach etc. The later symptoms bear some examination, talk to a doctor and tell them all your symptoms. They should take the appropriate action.

• Posted

Sound to me like a little stroke, there's no one way for after effects, they can never be 'prescribed' and for sure no-one ever tells us what to expect. A CAT scan, better still an MRI might show what happened, if it was a TIA they can be difficult to spot, my 7 doctors are still chuntering on about what I had, that's very frustrating for me - so I hope you do better. I would definitely ask for scans and also def mention that there are speech changes, I know what you are describing to a T! Everything I've learned post stroke (10 months) has been from forums like this, they have been lifesavers when I was frightened and totally alone in the months following. (I still am but it's not quite as bad!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.