Did I have an anaphylactic reaction?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. For the past two plus months I’ve been gluten and dairy free, for my nursing son’s eczema. I’ve also been egg free for three weeks. Intermittently, I’ve had some random swelling and/or tingling in my face, neck, jaw, hands, and feet. It’s barely noticeable, and it’s something I mostly just feel but can’t tell when I look in the mirror. Anyways, it’s been very mild and I haven’t been able to put a finger on what is causing it. Fast forward to last night. Husband and I went out to eat. I tried to order something that would comply with my diet but when it arrived it was obvious it probably had mayo (eggs), fries were breaded (gluten), and most likely dairy in there too. I ate the food, trying not to be difficult. As I ate I started to feel swelling in my face, but it wasn’t bad and was just like all my other episodes. Forty five minutes later in the car, I suddenly felt very strange, a sense of doom, swelling in my hands and face (not very noticeable), and heart palpitations, feeling like I was being squeezed. I don’t THINK I had issues breathing but I definitely felt like I was going to. It lasted about ten-twelve minutes and then I started shaking like I was cold and eventually it all calmed down. We didn’t go to the hospital. Symptoms haven’t come back, just some residual swelling today. So my question is, I’ve never been sensitive to foods in my life. Is it possible my system just had a wonky moment when I ate all that food I’d been avoiding? Was that near-anaphylaxis

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I know when we cut out carbs for 6 months and started eating them again I had a similar experience. I wonder if it’s because you had a lot at once? I only ate carbs in small amounts after that and was fine but it might be worth mentioning to your doctor and asking for allergy testing? You can become sensitive to something at any stage in your life!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.