Did I have mono?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Almost exactly 1 year ago at the this time out of the blue one day I became dizzy & passed out. I went to the hospital and the doctor said I was just dehydrated and gave me fluids. Almost 2-3 days later I became so sick with a fever so high I thought I was going to have to go back to the hospital. Luckily my fever went down and I returned to normal- or so I thought. Before I continue I would just like to say that I’m not sure if the previously stated stuff has any relation to my next few sentences, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Well always, almost a week later I became so unbearably tired for no reason. It was like getting out of bed was the hardest thing in the world. I was sleeping for 16 or 17 hours and didn’t know what to do. Along with the that I just had this general feeling of unwell. I went to the doctor and they didn’t know what to say other than to rest, so I did. The days progressed and I was not getting better. I am also a high school student so I was missing school during this time. I kept going back to the doctor and getting no answer. I didn’t know what to do and I wasn’t getting better so I went to the hospital. They tested me for various things like mono, strep, pregnancy and they all came back negative. Well fast forward a little while, I still could barely get out of bed. I had been to my family doctor, different urgent cares, and the hospital with no final diagnosis. While I was at the hospital they tested me for strep and it came back negative. Then a couple days later I was tested at resumes for strep and got a strange call about a week later saying I had strep. Along with strep I was diagnosed with a sinus infection a little while later. Then those cleared up yet I still wasn’t well. I had no fever but I had an unbearable migraine that lasted for a long time, chills, a sore throat, dizziness, insomnia, nausea, and still it was almost impossible to get out of bed. My school was getting mad & my family doctor thought I was faking it. I was definitely not faking it. Since I couldn’t get out of bed I was still missing school. I ended missing almost 40 days of school. This not practicing nurse my mother knows said it sounded like epstein barr, yet I had been tested twice with both negative. I eventually got to the point where I was sleeping normal amounts and was able to return to school the following year. However, it has been over a year and I still get sick quite a lot, never felt like I fully recovered, and while I’m able to get out of bed a lot better that doesn’t mean it’s easy or where I used to be. Does that sound like mono to anyone else? It is not an immune disorder as the tests for that came back negative too, but I read that false negatives are possible for blood tests looking for mono and I just don’t know what else it could be. Also is it possible that I haven’t fully recovered yet if it was mono? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary,

So sorry to hear you've had such a terrible year with your health, just want you to know that I empathise having been through mono and it does have very similar effects to those that you describe in my experience. It's so frustrating when you can't get a diagnosis or explanation too and when the doctors are not being helpful. It does sound like it could be mono, or if not mono another virus that has similar effects. My understanding of blood tests and everything isn't great, but I do think they can tell if you have previously been infected with EBV (the virus that causes mono), so maybe worth asking that. Another different virus that causes mono but is less common is called CMV, and there is also one that can cause similar effects passed on by cats I think too.

I do want to reassure that if it's been a virus like mono that this kind of year that you describe is normal and I went through it too, but then it's equally normal that you make a full recovery too. Year 2 was like a cake walk compared to Year 1 when I had mono, and I really started ot make a full recovery during this time. Really hoping and praying the same for you too, I do believe you will get better and that God will bring healing for you Mary, hang in there. It sounds like you've done all the right things, getting checked out by docs and getting tests, etc - do keep going to the docs and pestering them and having bloods monitored, etc, if / when feeling unwell.

Things that really helped me were taking vitamins and herbs, definitely would be worth giving a go as can really help boost your energy and immune system. Things that helped me (and still do to this day) included a good strong multi-vitamin per day (I used one called Immunace here in the UK), a B complex vitamin (great for energy levels and stress and the nervous system), high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), enough Vitamin D (especially winter) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinicea also can really help.

Thinking of you Mary and just want to reassure that I do believe you will make a full recovery, take it as reassuring that you have seen some improvement and with some of these very nasty kind of viruses the recovery can take a year or longer, certainly definitely it can with mono and similar type viruses, but then you still go on to make a full recovery with that so hang in there and remember just be kind to yourself and allow your body rest and recovery time too and reduce stress as much as possible as that can make a big difference. Hang in there Mary and just take one day at a time - you will get there and feel 100% better again even though it's been such a long road, I have faith in your recovery thanks to Jesus. You WILL get through this and will have healthy and happy times ahead as a young person.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I’ve been sick for 3 months with mono like symptoms. Like you my blood tests don’t show anything wrong, no mono or current EBV or CMV (just past infections positive) no autoimmune... I’ve had scans and ultrasounds and have a clean bill of health besides being terribly ill for the last two months (the last few weeks I have been a little better, except for back pain and nausea).

I would see your doctor regularly for follow ups (maybe every 3 weeks??)  if you don’t feel well, so that your doctor can monitor you and see if there’s anything changing. It might be a virus that causes mono like symptoms. That’s what I kind of decided it was, since docs are clueless and most of my symptoms match mono symptoms. 

I know it’s tough not having an answer, I am in the same position as you. Craig gave excellent advice on how to help yourself in this situation.. please rest as much as possible.

• Posted

Thanks Van, excellent words of advice there and just want you to know still thinking about you and believing in your recovery today - remember God knows the bigger picture, He is the great physician and will get you through this, even when the doctors are not helping much. So hard I know, thinking about you and just one day at a time - you and Mary both gonna get there for sure I believe that without any doubt at all, just hoping it comes sooner than later - I believe it will and don't panic if it still takes a bit of time, that's normal in mono / mono type illnesses, but recovery does happen and come.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you craig, happy Sunday to you. How is your back? Have you found any relief or is it the same?? I feel for you.. mine has been acting up too and it’s causing me to feel mildly nauseous. Feels tender too. YOU will get better too Craig, with a positive outlook like that how could you not? Outlook is so important with healing ... 

Take care smile 

• Posted

Thanks so much Van that really means a lot for you to say that to me.

Oh I wish I did have a positive outlook all the time....I do know how hard it is and have been struggling a bit lately for myself. I think it's easier for me with the glandular fever because it was a long time ago for me and I can see the perspective of recovery and want to reassure others that that comes...but whilst going through it I felt the same as you and everyone else on the forum here, and have been feeling that way so worried about things with my back and just totally my confidence has been knocked and lost myself a bit recently.

Thanks so much for your kind words and believing God will help each one of us here with our recovery if we keep trying.

Craig

• Posted

And of course thinking of you today and still believing fully in your recovery Van!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.