did i make the right choice

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had advance prostate cancer Gleason score 9 in all 12 cores. I had 45 days of radiation . How long does it take before pc becomes castration resistance? I am on Firmagone and I am told that I will be on it for about 2 years My psa numbers are low.

How long do I have to wait before I can have an MRI and a cat scan and a bone scan . I am told it can be done until I am off Firmagone

It seams as the doctor is waiting for the cancer to become resistant to the adt treatment and if it does what is next for me .

Did I make the wrong move by not having it removed ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Henry, i was diagnosed with Gleeson score of 9 Tb3 in march 2017

Opted for , and commenced2 years ADT , STARTED ON Firmagone which i could not tolerate.

Then after 6 months i started on 3x6 months of Diptheraline. I had every side effects possible.

I also had 39 shots RT

Again all side rffects, but Henry , methinks not all guys go through these side effects.

I am 76 and totally impetant. Sadly....i have a young partner and we are missing on these relationships

Now finished the ADT but continuing with frequent hot flushes and fatigue

Now have shingles, the immune system must be i bad shape

My latest Psa reading .008, really not registering

Feel free to Pm me direct, i live in Cairns , Queensland

Henry G Hensby

Good luck and stay positive

• Posted

Thank you for getting back to me

I sent a message to you pm I hope it worked . Please let me know

Thank you

Henry C

• Posted

Henry, I was on firmagon until another oncologist changed me to zolodex which I not only tolerated far better BUT ius also 3 mthly where firmagon was monthly.

PCa can take years to go from castrate sensitive to castrate resistent.

• Posted

Advanced prostate cancer

ADT is the main treatment for advanced prostate cancer, when disease has spread beyond the prostate. In this case, the treatment will not cure the cancer but can keep it under control for months and even years. It may also reduce or eliminate the symptoms of cancer (temporary remission) and help with symptoms such as pain caused by the cancer spreading.

• Posted

Yes I know all about advance PCa as I was diagnosed with Gleason 9.

What you say about ADT is right but you fail to mention that SIDE EFFECTS of firmagon are worse than Zoldaex. In particular hot flashes.

• Posted

I suppose not having it removed is a greater risk. It does help with normal body function to not have it removed. If it isnt terminal perhaps radiation will help you. It depends on the how far the cancer has gone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.