Did I worsen or cause my scoliosis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I have a suspicion that scoliosis is my fault. I had underweight with 55 kilograms from 16 to 19 years due to mental health problems as a male with 1.82 meters of height. Then at late 19 years they found I had a 20° S-curve scoliosis. (At 20 years my weight was normal again.)

Was the scoliosis caused or worsened by my underweight? Did my underweight have any bad effect on the scoliosis? Did I worsen or cause my scoliosis? Is it my fault then? Was it caused or worsened by underweight + poor posture?

Or did my underweight not cause or worsen my scoliosis, not even any little bit? Is it not my fault?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi hazard6 My mother tongue is not English. I want to let you know that underweight alone does not cause scoliosis. That is in most cases ideopathic (unknown) reasons and get worse with the body growth (teenage time). In most cases passive physiotherapy does not really help, some patient get a orthosis or if it is very bad a operation and a orhtosis. Most patient get some relieve with muscle work like pilates, what strengths their central back muscles which help to stabilise the back. Also with the age the scoliosis becomes in most cases worse. Activ stabilisation of the muscles is very important for your hole life. Underweight in higher age is not good for the bones (osteoporosis) but mostly a problem which have woman, but still possible for man. But keep in mind: you can not change the past, but you can do something for your health and future NOW....

• Posted

If anyone else knows whether I caused or worsened my scoliosis, please tell me.

• Posted

Hi I shouldn't worry about that to be honest. Whether you did contribute to it or not is not the issue now. What you need to do is deal with it so concentrate on that.

We can all blame ourselves for our ills but it doesn't get us anywhere except a guilt trip and who needs that. I have copd (mild lung disease) and I smoked for a good many years. I do blame myself but have forgiven myself as I never knew or thought I would get this, so move on is my advice. x

• Posted

yes but if anyone knows that it is not my fault please tell me and explain. i do not want to have caused or worsened my own scoliosis. and it's difficult to live without knowing that.

• Posted

Well there are no medics on here who can say that so why not ask your doctor? if you find out it is your fault what are you going to do about it? Beat yourself up? Punish yourself? My advice is not to encourage feelings of guilt coz it is negative and won't get you anywhere except unhappy. x

• Posted

I'd rather want to know that it's not my fault than live unknowingly.

• Posted

Well if it was your fault he would have told you wouldn't he? Accept what the expert says and save your energy for living as good a life as you can. This is my advice. x

• Posted

please tell me if scoliosis was my fault or not. did i really worsen or cause it by having had underweight and bad posture?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.