Did insomnia go away for anyone?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Currently taking 20mg. I take it at night because I'm afraid of how it will affect me during the day, especially at work. Anyways, today is my seventh day of taking it. I didn't fall asleep until about 4am last night and woke up at 10ish and tossed and turned until 11. I also felt a surge of jitteriness. Not anxiety or panic, just felt like that was the reason I couldn't go back to sleep.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

How long have you been on it? I am on week 7 and sometimes I sleep 8 hours, other nights I am up every hour. I was told 7 weeks is still considered early.
    • Posted

Wow! I'm only on my seventh day...sometimes I can't believe this medication takes so long to work...I already feel like my anxiety has dimmed down, but not sleeping well is becoming annoying.

• Posted

Panic attacks and anxiety (for the most part) is gone first. But your body in general reacting to the medication takes time.
  • Posted

When i went back and checked up with my dr he said "any panic attacks?" "No" "good its working" but side effects with ADs dont just go away, takes time

• Posted

Ah, ok. That's some relief...I know all too well from this forum alone that the meds take quite some time until you start feeling the benefits. Thank you for your kind responses!

• Posted

Very welcome! Believe me, every blip i get i come here. There is a member named Katecogs on here, she is my relief! So helpful! Keep busy and it will help the side effects not last all day!
  • Posted

I was on sertraline for about 2 years. I didn't have problems with sleep before it, and during it. Later i stopped taking it and everything was fine.

But 5 months later i started to have insomnia and i would get really mad about stuff i normally wouldnt. I knew it was depression kicking in again

My doc got me citalopram, and it is currently working for me. Ive been taking 20mg for about 2 weeks now, and somedays i still get problems sleeping, but i think it is turning ok. I am sleeping less than when i was sleeping with sertraline (about 13h a day), but i feel way more rested now. 

I think that sleeping 13 hours a night was not ok and my body is still getting used to this new routine.

• Posted

Wow, 13h sleep? I would feel like a zombie! But I am hoping to hit my "two week hump" with flying colors next week. As I said before in this thread, I feel like my 20mg/day is helping my constant worry, overthinking and tight throat feeling. It just sucks that it makes me wake up a couple of times a night and I can't get back to sleep. It's especially worse when I have an alarm set and know I have to be up. The sunlight shining through my blinds probably doesn't help either...ugh.

• Posted

I weened myself of the stuff after more than 10 years a few months ago as my depression had improved.  However, a rent truly horrible life event has left me paralysed with anxity and panic attacks to the point I couldn't function.  Never had an experience like it. So I back on the Citrolopram (7days in) and the anxiety is horrendous and so is the sleepless nights.  

I'm waking up after 3 or 4 hours drenched in sweat, catastrophising, and can't get back to sleep. The cure for my worries is me being on top form so whilst I'm struggling with fatigue and anxiety I can't solve the problem and so it goes on.

Some hope that I will get a good night sleep soon would be very welcome.  I don't remember it being like this when I first started on the medication years ago although I wasn't suffering with anxiety then just depression.

• Posted

I was on Citalopram back in 2009 for about 6 months and I also don't remember having sleeping issues either. That's what's been bugging me about this medication lately.

• Posted

I'm currently 2 days shy of 7 weeks and still wake up all night lol, usually in bed at about 930pm or around then and typically awake about 1am then again at 4 am for about an hr or more everytime I wake up. It's very frustrating and it also makes it hard to figure out if a symptom I'm having is a lack of sleep, anxiety, or something to be worried about. I too have heard the 4-6 week mark is only for when ty are supposed to see postive results and it can take much longer to feel total relief which for me is reassuring because I feel as though I'm like 80 % back to me but still have small constants like headaches and tight lumpy throats when swallowing. Today actually right now as typing this I'm starting to get panicky all the sudden but I'm late taking my meds so that could be it too but the rare panick attack I have now usually passes in a cpl mins of ignore it long enough lol good luck hopefully we all get some real long term relief from stupid illness that is anxiety

• Posted

Yes those are my timescales as well 33cody. I need to force myself to get up as at the moment I'm just lying there sweating, tossing and turning and catastrophising and I know this isn't the answer. Most things I have read suggest getting up after about 15 minutes if you don't fall back to sleep.

Winter months though it is cold and miserable when you get up!

Like DarthGeorge says though, why is it different this time? Perhaps because my symptoms are different and I am dealing with anxiety and not depression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.