Did my dentist do unnecessary work?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi - I was hoping someone could advise.

I have just started seeing a new dentist due to a move. He did x-rays and told me that I needed to re-do 2 of my fillings (I felt no pain), replace a filling that came out (I agree) and have another filling in a spot where the filling kept coming out (my old dentist told me to leave it and keep it clean).  I was not feeling any pain in any of the teeth and felt sick that I needed so much work.  I now find it odd that there were no actual cavities, just decay thathas prompted the work.  Also odd was his rush to do everything.

I went back to see him to get the the work started - I thought he'd start with the broken filling.  He replaced this with a temporary filling and said he wanted to keep an eye on the nerve to see if it would eventually need a root canal (I don't understand this).  The same appointment, he replaced the filling on my other tooth and made the new filling in the third tooth (both were deep).  I now feel extensive sensitivity and wonder if he is was just doing unnecessary work for profit? 

-Does decay need a filling? Could he have just kept an eye on this - and were there any other options?

-Do old but otherwise fine fillings need to be replaced? 

-Why do a temporary filling - doesn't it risk breaking down and prompting root canal?

I'm getting copies of my x-rays soon - there is just something in my gut telling me he doesn't have my best interests at heart.  I've had a few dentists in my life and this is the first time I have ever felt this way.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I don't know how to edit my original post. I meant: I have just started seeing a new dentist due to a move. He did x-rays and told me that I needed to re-do 1 of my fillings (I felt no pain), have a brand new filling, replace a filling that came out (I agree) and have another filling in a spot where the filling kept coming out (my old dentist told me to leave it and keep it clean). 

• Posted

decay wpould require root canal or tooth extraction i would see a different dentist and get there opinion then compair the two and decide who is better and more knowledgeable

• Posted

Obviously it depends entirely on what this dentist has found, but I can confirm from personal experience that teeth that have lost their feelings, or even broken off, do not automatically need a root canal. They can often be re-filled or repaired. I've had this done several times.

Actual decay needs a filling, but not necessarily a root canal. However, different dentists have different ideas on what actually constitutes decay. Some prefer "watchful waiting" provided the patient has good dental hygiene and gets regular check-ups.

I'd get a second opinion if I were you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.