Did not eat on time and got acid & upset stomach

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been having stomach problems for months. Yesterday I did not eat breakfast on time - I had it close to lunch time. I didn't eat again till in the evening and I may have eaten too much. I woke up at 5:00 a.m. today feeling like acid was in my chest & throat. Now i'm feeling nauseous and I just went to the toilet twice. The second one was soft & loose.When i burped I tasted what I ate several hours ago. It may not have digested. Does this happen to anyone else when you dont eat on time? I've had poor eating habits for years and I think that's what caused my stomach problems in the first place. Just drank some antacid. Hoping it will work. I did a barium swallow and ultrasound which were clear. I suspect I have gastritis but have not done the endoscopy to confirm. Are there any other tests I should do - blood, stool etc.? Anyone out there with similar symptoms? What treatment are you on and what lifestyle changes have you made? I'm about to start omeprazole. Most of the time i feel stressed out and worried about this illness which has led to anxiety. It's consuming my mind. Please share your experiences and advice with me. Thanks. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I know what u mean I suffer from discomfort near my belly button which I don’t know if it’s acid or not as don’t get it in throat sometimes feels like it’s above belly button the discomfort I’ve had bloods and colonoscopy all clear could be ibs I just don’t know and docs not sure either my pain is there everyday and makes my anixtey worse 
    • Posted

i'm so sorry you are suffering. i feel so sick right now. i have not slept all night and i feel tired & miserable. looks like i will have to take another sick day from work. have to do more tests and try and figure this thing out. 

• Posted

Hope u work it out have u had tests done what’s a bariem swallow test test for 
    • Posted

A barium swallow is a test that may be used to determine the cause of painful swallowing, difficulty with swallowing, abdominal pain, bloodstained vomit, or unexplained weight loss.

Barium sulfate is a metallic compound that shows up on X-rays and is used to help see abnormalities in the esophagus and stomach. When taking the test, you drink a preparation containing this solution. The X-rays track its path through your digestive system.

These problems can be detected with a barium swallow:

Narrowing or irritation of the esophagus (for example, Schatski's ring)

Disorders of swallowing (dysphagia - difficulty swallowing), spasms of the esophagus or pharynx

Hiatal hernia (an internal defect that causes the stomach to slide partially into the chest)

Abnormally enlarged veins in the esophagus (varices) that cause bleeding

Ulcers

Tumors

Polyps (growths that are usually not cancerous, but develop into cancer)

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

• Posted

Some one on this Forum praised use of herbal called 'Slippery Elm'. It contains good ingredients. You may wish to see its details on google and then decide if it can help you. Good luck.

• Posted

Try eating little but often to soak up the acid and avoid greasy, rich and spicy food.   Omeprazole should help to control the acid; it worked for me.  I don’t make any lifestyle changes for my IBS.  I just take medication when I have a flare up.  For my GERD, I simply avoid very spicy or fatty food and take H2 blockers.
    • Posted

Thanks a lot Pippa. I've started eating lots of bananas as I read they are alkaline and would help to neutralize acid. One thing I will start doing is taking water and a light snack to work so that my stomach is not empty for hours after lunch until i get home. I have omeprazole (PPI) and Cimetidine (H2 blocker). I will let you know how they work for me. One question - should PPIs and H2 blockers be taken at the same time or hours apart? Do they counteract each other if taken together? 

I believe I have acid reflux as well as gastritis. I have not done the tests to prove it but my symptoms are consistent with both of these conditions. It all started because i never used to eat on time and used to skip breakfast. My stomach was empty for long periods which led to excess acid build up. Now I'm suffering the consequences of years of neglecting my own health. I'm currently trying to stick to an eating schedule. Trying desperately to fix these issues. 

• Posted

You can take PPIs and H2 blockers on the same day but you need to take them four hours apart to make sure thr H2 blocker is out of your system.  If you don’t space them out, the h 2 blocker can cause the PPI not to work properly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.