Did they see me coming get a mile off?😉

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello people,

I went for my second ever eye test the other day at 46 and have been told by a well known optitian that I need glasses. I kind of knew that I needed glasses for reading as I've struggled reading for a while and I kind of accepted that.

the results were

Right

sph +0.25 cyl -0.75 axis 85.0

near-add +1.50

left

sph +0.25 cyl-0.50 axis135.0

near-add 1.50

I was expecting to buy a couple of pairs of half decent frames (buy 1 get 1 free) for reading but instead I've taken the optitians advice and bought varifocal lenses costing £159 for the glass and then the frames for both glasses.

My question is do I really need to wear glasses all the time as I think the prescription readings above are quite low from what I've read ?

would it make much difference wearing glasses for distance and could I get away with just reading glasses. If the difference is worth it then I don't mind paying the money out.

Just felt they were more concerned with how many pennies were going in the till!

Thank you.

John

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have just found out I was a little bit long sighted recently, I am very short sighted and was told I needed varifocal glasses, I still haven't got around to getting them though. It doesn't seem to bother me that much. I think wear the varifocals for driving, but for everything else, wear what feels comfortable. I think the opticians probably have to advise you to get the varifocals for things like driving in case you have an accident.

• Posted

If you had your eye test at one of the big high street chains - best advice is take it with a pinch of salt! I had my eyes tested at Vision express. Got bamboozled into varifocals and by the time all the 'extras' had been added on, what should have been £89 buy one get one free ended up nearer £600. The glasses were wrong from the start, after three months of back and forth and arguments, no refunds, I gave up. I put the whole experience down to my stupidity at dealing with a sales focussed business rather than professional eye people. I went to a small recommended independent optician who told me yes, I did need glasses but I could definitely get away with not wearing them other than for reading as I was still at a level legal to drive etc. I asked him about varifocals as that was what VE told me I needed. He said it would be better for my eyesight needs to perhaps have two single vision pairs - one for close work, ie reading and one for distance, ie driving, if I felt the need but the distance pair wasnt essential. He also told me that I had very early onset cataracts - which VE had missed completely! He also said that it was critically important to get a qualified dispenser to fit the glasses as that made a lot of difference in how effective they were, eg sitting properly on the face, eyeline correct part of lens etc. That was one of the main problems with the varifocals from VE as the proportions of the different focal parts were all wrong and set wrongly. I will never go back to one of the multi outlet big chains again with their con artist offers.

• Posted

You could definitely get by with just reading glasses, however many people find that after awhile they get tired of putting on and taking off the reading glasses(as your distance will be blurry with reading glasses). In the end you will most likely prefer the Rx glasses so you dont have to take them off and put them back on. But you can always get a cheap pair of reading glasses to have when you dont feel like wearing your glasses all day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.