Did you gain or lose after starting meds?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondering....I have read a lot of people gaining weight on thyroid medication...doctors state this is not  a side effect. What is your experience?

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Rhwittman:

This is a good question!

The answer is yes, but the medication can just replace what hormone we are low in.  So if you take your dose, you are just keeping the thyroid level at normal. 

To lose a lot of weight, you would need high levels of Thyroxine and that is dangerous to the heart.  I have lost 32 pounds and so once we are stablized we can work on diet and exercise. I do some walking.

The hormone does make some people feel hungry because it tends to help our metabolism and that makes you feel hungry.  I guess in a way it is a side effect.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

I definitely have not had an increase in appetite...actually, I think the opposite.  Been on it a few weeks now and haven't weighed myself, but definitely have not lost weight!! I just hope I don't gain. It's funny because the doc told me a side effect is weight loss, but everyhting I read online is people wh are gaining weight!
  • Posted

My experience (35 lbs put on in 3 months - never to be lost) tells me, and your doctor! that it is definitely a side effect, a horrible, discouraging, life changing side effect. I spent a life time as a slim, attractive energetic woman, now I am living in a body that I hardly know how to live in and do not want to run into any of my life time of friends. The fat put on by Levo turned my life off.
    • Posted

LAHs,

I am sure you are still beautiful!!! Your post made me sad. What gave you tried to lose it? Can your doc switch the med? That is so scary!

• Posted

LAHs, there is hope. After 24 years I have finally found a medication that works for me and i have lost weight (though some of this is due to eating no carbohydrates due to allergies and intolerances). It's you as a person that is important. The 'you' that is on this site such a lot, helping people. That is worth way more.

Big hug, Barbara.

• Posted

I have actually lost weight after starting levothyroxine.  When my thyoid was off I gained 15 pounds and after starting my meds, I lost it in like 2 months.  So....  yes there is hope.   Like someone else mentioned, maybe if you swithched medication that would help?  I wish you luck and sending prayers your way!  Always remember...  You are Amazing and Beautiful!
  • Posted

Barbara and RH,

Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging comments. I didn't mean to be such a downer, you probably caught me in a low mood and hit a nerve. I had just had a doc's appt and came away with the usual frustration and feeling of hopelessness. My mood and hope do raise with time and I am ready to start fighting the problem again.

But thank you.

• Posted

Ive put on almost two stones in a year, despite loads of exercise. Im now increasing from 100 to 125mcg levo. I totally understand your feelings of embarrassment. I cant bear to look in the mirror. Im hoping its not the levo, but the lack of it that is causing my weight retention. My tsh is on the high side of normal, so fingers and toes crossed. X
    • Posted

Debbie, it's the Levo and your TSH has nothing to do with it - except that your doctor will probably lower your dose because TSH is low. That reduction in dose will make you put on more weight.

The only way to lose weight is to increase your T3 either by pill or by increasing your T4 dose until you just nose into hyper. A characteristic of hyper is to lose weight no matter how much you eat.

But be careful, be careful, be careful, raise your dose slowly and pay attention to your symptoms and feelings. Do a lot of reading about this state before you do this.

• Posted

I have a prescription for an increased dose, but Im scared to start. Im having this pounding heart feeling, no breathlessless, pain etc, feeling fine. But Im still struggling to lose weight, bowels quite sluggish, average energy, pains in my achilles and tired feet. Do you think I should go on the higher dose to see what happens? Thanks, apprcaite any advice.
    • Posted

I find wnwn I'm increasing the dose that increasing it by a quarter of a 25mcg tablet every 2 days helps. It's ok to cut the tablets.
  • Posted

I'm so scared. What is the best diet for someone who is hypothyroid...low carb?
    • Posted

Hello Rhwittman:

Best to do high protein, low carb, and avoid a lot of dairy.  I do walking, nothing fancy. 

Having Hypothyroid issues, our metabolism is slower and some people are doing Gluten Free as much as they can.

So try that.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.