Did you have extreme pain upon waking from surgery?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi folks - my point of reference is that on 9/2/11, I had both knees replaced and it was a breeze compared to my initial reaction for RTHR. I woke from surgery in excruciating pain and it took at least 24 hours to get it under control. Has anyone else experienced pain when waking from surgery?

Otherwise, I am doing great. I am 19 days post-op, still on Coumadin to prevent blood clots and for the most part, sleeping well because I am a back and side sleeper. The week in rehab was a huge help and my son took both dogs and is watching them. He brought home Randall, my 11 month old dog, and Randall was the best medicine for me. Today I walked a mile and yesterday I walked a little under a mile. Stairs are not a problem and I keep reminding myself . . . moderation. I even drove my car twice today. Short distance, but it felt great! My PT comes to my home and next week she is going to refer me to out-patient PT.

Thanks everyone for listening!

Georgette

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Waking up in extreme pain was definitely not my experience (or most peoples I would add) I think you have been extremely unlucky. I was completely pain free in the recovery room and for a solid ten hours or so afterwards thanks to the epidural.

I am sorry this happened to you, and would say it is highly unusual. Perhaps ask your surgeon why you woke up in so much pain.....I think you need an answer from her/him and get to the bottom of the problem, particularly if you need another hip replaced in time and intend to go back to the same consultant.

• Posted

HI THATS GREAT TO HEAR! I WAS OK WHEN I WOKE UP AND FELT THE BEST I HAD FELT FOR AGES, IT WAS A LOVELY FEELING BEING FREE OF PAIN! SADLY IT DIDNT LAST! AS THE ANAESTHETIC WORE OFF I WAS IN AGONY. I WAS GIVEN LOTS OF PAIN KILLERS! I AM STILL NOT THERE YET! BUT ITS IMPROVING! I AM WALKING INSIDE AND AT THE SUPERMARKET BUT I LIVE IN A VERY HILLY AREA SO RELUCTANT TO WALK OUTSIDE. SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE DOING GREAT KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

• Posted

I too woke up in excruciating pain immediately after surgery. I thought I would wake up in no pain because I had opted for a block. The block worked miracles on my whole leg "below the surgical area" but did not work at the most painful area. I might as well had not had anything! They kept me doped up for the next 24 hours with IV pain meds and when I woke up fully the next day the pain was much decreased. However the block was still going and my leg felt like there was a 1000 pound weight pushing down on it. I had the Dr remove the block because it didn't help the pain and was useless in my opinion and once it wore off (another 12 hours) I was finally able to get up on the side of the bed where I promptly passed out! Fun times!!

• Posted

No, very little pain actually, all under control with a morphine drip.

Don't worry, as long as it's under control now, every operation is different, every person has different pain tolerance and medication intolerances.

• Posted

Thanks all for your responses. I saw various surgeons at HSS, a neurologist and a pain doctor. My knee surgeon was no longer at HSS and the surgeons who accept Medicare at HSS are now very slim. I was hoping to be a candidate for stem cell and PRP, but in the one year of seeing the experts, I developed AVN and my hip was bone-on-bone. The first time I met with the surgeon who did the RTHR, I was in a lot of pain and it affected my walking and sleeping. With 2 dogs, I am active, walk miles and hike. He offered anti-inflammatories and I advised that they simply don't work, I needed something stronger. His response was "Well, that's too bad, because I'm not giving you anything stronger." I never wanted to look at his face again. Another surgeon at HSS said "your hip is not the problem, it's your spine." He advised that I see a spine surgeon. They would have advised a laminectomy, but the compressions were too far apart. Another doctor at HSS said it's your hip and your spine. I would never have a rod placed in my back and began going to yoga every day and it was of immense help for my back. My yoga teachers would help modify positions with a cushion when it interfered with my hip. The pain doctor thought it was my sacroiliac joint, I had 4 nerve blocks and 3 cortisone shots. Nerve blocks did not help and the 3rd shot to my hip did the trick and lasted for 3-4 weeks. Neurologist confirmed it was not nerve-related. With great reluctance I went back to the first surgeon and fortunately my pain doctor had given me pain meds. I know that there is an opioid epidemic, and that doctors must be be very careful. I'm a very active woman who was in a lot of pain, today is 3 weeks post-op and I'm doing great. I'm grateful, yet I still have this lingering resentment because it was incredibly traumatic to wake from surgery in excruciating pain. My follow-up is February 3rd, and it's not with the surgeon , it's with his PA, who is a lovely woman. Just had to get that out there - thanks for "listening."

• Posted

I had a stinging sensation rather than pain. I woke while being wheeled out of the theatre and could feel tingling in my feet and could move my feet around 15 minutes later. I was given oramorph for the stinging sensation while in recovery and when I was brought back to the ward. I have low blood pressure normally and they were getting worried as it was in my boots with the extra oramorph. Was told to drink lots of water to bring my blood pressure back up so that the physios could get me out of bed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.