Did Your Bunions Grow Back?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, just curious if there's anyone on this forum whose bunions grew back. After how many years, main causes, etc etc

Thanks!

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Owl369, thanks for the interesting point. I had one foot operated on 15 years ago and the other 14 years ago, both scarf osteotomies but with different surgeons. The bunions came back slowly and became a problem in footwear after 10 years. I've just had revision bilateral akin osteotomy (post op week 6) and my feet seem to be much improved. I wonder whether it was because the akin osteotomy wasn't done originally as to why the bunions returned?  Although I also had the other eight toes tendons released and pip joints fused so it could also be a combinations of factors of the forefoot in my case 😒 Fingers crossed and toes straight for good outcomes for all! 😊
    • Posted

Hi cixi,

can you describe the difference between the two operations as I have yet to see a consultant?  I looked on the web but all in medical jargon, which I didn't understand.  Thanks!

• Posted

Hi cixi, I hope they won't come back after this surgery. I assume that the methods they are using nowadays are much improved compared to 15 years ago (at least I hope so). Just wondering? Are you a very active person like do you exercise a lot (jump around smile etc) and do you wear high heels aften?
    • Posted

Hi Mumbles1, as far as I understand it (just from my research) the scarf osteotomy is a z shaped cut and realignment of the metatarsal and that is then held together with a screw. The akin osteotomy is when a wedge is cut out of the big toe, and then that is realigned and held in place by a staple or something similar. It seems that these days the scarf and akin are often performed together but there are lots of other procedures for bunion correction. Hope all goes well for you 😊
    • Posted

Hi Owl369, yes I am very active as I am a fitness instructor😜. I teach 13 classes a week and also run a lot so my feet have indeed taken a battering over the years! Also partial to high heels on occasions but nothing silly! My feet served me well from a fitness point of view (normal footwear was the problem) but yes it could be the stress of the physical demands that have also changed the alignment of the bones and joints. Hope all goes well for you. Have you had your surgery yet?
    • Posted

Thanks cixi for explaining the two procedures which sound quite invasive!  I've yet to find out what I might need doing.  I'll be back when I know... It's very useful hearing all the advice and tips in advance.  You are a brave person to go for another operation and hopefully this will be your last! Let us know how you get on and when you've recovered in a year's time, don't forget to tell us how you are and how much back to normality you get, put a note in your 2016 diary! smile
    • Posted

Thanks for the encouragement Mumbles1. Look forward to hearing what treatment/procedure you decide on, all the best to you 😊 
  • Posted

Well, the answer is yes and no - mainly, I guess, because I'm kind of ignorant about exactly what's what with all the stuff that's gone on with this darn foot over the past 10 or 15 years! This bunion started on my right big toe and got red and painful when I was in my 40's. This was followed by many shots of cortisone - all of which helped temporarily.  In 2006 I had surgery to shave (?) the bone since the pain was not being well controlled and it really hurt to walk, even barefoot. This helped a lot for a few years, but finally in 2009 I bit the bullet and went in for a fusion. From what my orthopedic surgeon told me, this would involve immobilizing the bone of that toe so that it would no longer hurt to walk, although he did inform me that it would take getting used to to walk without the normal flexibility of that foot.

The surgery went fine - yes, it was painful - but I was shocked when the bandages were removed and saw that now my big toe was so much shorter that it looked like a third of it had been removed somehow! No more long, slim, straight, flexible toe sad It looked awful, especially next to the second toe, which is very long. It was also quite a treat learning to balance and walk again with a big toe that was now not touching the ground! My balance was thrown off completely. Nonetheless it was better than the constant pain, and over time things became more flexible so that I indeed can bend that big toe to the ground when I walk.

Then maybe a bit less than a year ago I noticed that no matter what pair of shoes I put on, the edge and top of that toe was hurting. Eventually it turned red and started to swell upward. About a month ago I was startled to see what looked like a red, very sore volcano coming up from the joint just before where the toe begins. It actually looked infected and about to burst. I went to see a podiatrist my PCP had recommended for a separate problem and imagine my shock when he told me the hardware that had been put in was rejecting and pushing through my foot!!

Last week I went in to have 4 screws and a metal plate removed from that toe bone. (Day surgery but I was asleep.) The doc explained that the screws were "surplus" now, as my bone had fused in just a few months, and that there would be some holes in the bone but they'd fill in. I have a low surgical boot (and I'm teetering on it because all I have to wear on the other foot are flat heels) and I am to use common sense standing and walking - in other words don't do much of it. The pain hasn't been too bad, especially if I elevate and ice my foot. The stitches come out in a week and a half.

So, there's more info than you thought you would get. I'm just going stir-crazy not driving after being stuck inside almost all of this horrible winter as it is, but mainly I hope this is the last surgery on that foot I will ever need. Arthritis runs in my family and I've got plenty myself, so I don't know...anyway I sure do wish mine had been one of those rare painless bunions. No such luck.

• Posted

I had bunions removed on both feet when I was 11 years old. I had had these for as long as I could remember. I know from what the doctor has since told me that these were not likely to have been caused by ill fitting shoes. I know that my mother was very careful to always ensure that I had correctly fitting shoes. 

when I was in my 30's it became obvious that the bunions were returning. This became an increasing problem in my early 50's by which time they were increasingly painful, I was developing a hammer toe and I found it very difficult to find shoes to wear. 

I would like to make it clear that I DiD NOT wear high heels all of the time.  When heels were worn they were small. I have never really worn what could be called 'high

' heels. Bunions can be made wore by wearing high heels but that is not the only cause of them. I have flat feet, high flexibiliy in the ligaments in my feet and tight calves  which apparently makes it much more likely to get bunions. 

I have had them re- done recently. There is no guarantee that they will not return again. I will just have to wit and see

• Posted

I had a bunion removed 8mths ago, it has now regrown fully. Very sore and painful, so take painkillers and change my shoes constantly. I live in Australia and am 66, was quite active but now find myself less so.  I still work but some days are difficult.

• Posted

I had my right foot operated on in 2011 and nothing has grown back yet.... I'm fine except for the keloid on the top of my foot...

• Posted

My bunions were originally done in 1986. They grew back and by 2016 it was time to see the Doctor, my original one retired. The new one did the right foot first in January and the left in March. By June, I had to admit there was something wrong with the right one. Okay before six months passed, my new Doctor confirmed my fear it's baaaaack.  So soon?  I'm now truly panicked and anxious over having to go through this again. Where will I find the courage? Do I trust any foot Doctor? By the way, I have never worn high heels.  

• Posted

I can say for a fact after bunion surgery over 28-30 years ago it can come back.  I had my surgery in my late 20’s or early 30’s when I was working.  I have since retired after 33 years of working and have developed bunion again on both foot. During my working career I did not wear tight pointed high heel shoes.   I have a family history of this problem. Several of my family members suffer from bunions as well.  I am in my mid-60’s now and most likely will not go through surgery again but will wear wider shoes and modify my life style.  Luckily I still have the mobility to walk well. I keep active.   Hopefully in my golden years I won’t have more pain due to the bunions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.