Did your rheumatologist recommend a MedicAlert bracelet?

Posted , 6 users are following.

After reading Kassie's post and several responses, I googled "prednisone oral webmd" and started reading about drug interaction problems with prednisone. In one area, I saw a note that one should contact "Medic Alert" as prednisone could complicate medical procedures in emergency situations. I have not read anything about this in our forum discussions so I am posting it here. Since I do travel nationally and internationally I will take that precaution immediately.

Regards,

CC

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Medic Alert is a not-for-profit Charity which supplies customised engraved discs which come in various forms (bracelets, necklaces, sports straps, watches and probably some I've forgotten) for anyone who has, or could have, a medical emergency due to chronic illnesses or conditions or who have allergies to drugs or food or possible drug/food interactions..

Just Google it, they have a very large range, I was given my first bracelet many moons ago as a birthday present.

• Posted

CC - I carried a steroid card with me at all times (available from GPs and pharmacies). I used to keep it up-to-date with my present doses so in an emergency situation where you aren't able to communicate the card will alert medics to the fact that you are on steroids. I understand some patients wear a Medic Alert bracelet.

When travelling abroad, apart from the steroid card, it is wise to always carry a copy of your prescription and to have a supply of steroids both in your handbag as well as in your luggage.

MrsO

• Posted

Negritos and MrsO,

Thank you both for your quick reply. I will visit my pharmacy and pick up a card today and I have checked the medic alert site. Unfortunately, I will be on the road before I can receive the bracelet so my next question is where should I put the tattoo ;~D

• Posted

Nefret, I hate spell check. Sorry for misspelling your name.
  • Posted

Hi cc yes I have a talisman Knecklace I got that information from my hospital blue card (I think ) it stays round my Kneck for that reason I was told to get stainless steel or silver because Steriods can bring out about a change in colour reaction with cheaper ones !i got a really nice one with a Saint Christofer on the front and it the talisman SOS message engraved on the back it looks really nice and I wear it 24-7 it is waterproof too so can be worn in the bath or sea (by choise) I bought from the Talisman site I also carry my blue card with me wherever I go !I got the knecklace as my choose rather than The Bracelet because I liked the look of if it this site has a really nice range of styles also I hope this has been of help to you ps they also a nice range of bracelets good luck from Blubberbabe 2
  • Posted

Hi everyone. I wear a talisman bracelet. As well as being on Pred I am allergic to Penicillin and codeine. I also carry an up to date steroid card. Better safe than sorry! What I would like to ask is about holiday insurance. When I was diagnosed with GCA last Oct I was due to go to Cyprus 3weeks later, my Rheumatologist advised me not to go as I was on 60mg of Pred then and if I came down with a bug that caused sickness and diarrhoea I probably would need to have been hospitalised on intravenous steroids. So we cancelled our trip. He wrote me a letter for my insurance fair play and didn't charge me for it. Have any of you been abroad while on you're Pred and how much would it cost? I have been reducing by 10mg each month since Dec and tomorrow (March 1st) I will reduce to 20mg then I see my Rheumy on 25th March. So would there be so high a risk of being in need of intravenous steroids if I had a tummy bug now. I think my son wants to take us away for a long wknd in the sun ☀️Just for a little break. Any advice would be gratefully accepted. Hope all of you are feeling ok. Take care. X
  • Posted

Hmmmm

When I initially talked to my doctor he indicated that I could still travel but I would not be able to reduce before a trip. Since I am planning a trip to the sun starting next Saturday I will verify this on Thursday and let you know what he says. I believe that this forum can answer that question more quickly so Irecommend starting a new discussion.

Regards,

CC

• Posted

Thank you CC. That's what I'll do then. I think he was a bit worried because I was on 60mg and had only just been diagnosed. To be honest I wasn't sorry as I didnt feel good. You take care and good luck with your Dr's app. I'm sure you'll be fine to go.

Luv xx

• Posted

Hi there this is Blubberbabe2 in answer to your question on medic alert yes I was advices to get either knecklace or bracelet containing my information on GCA and Steriods and any allergy,s!I chose to get a Talisman knecklace which is an internationally recognised Sybol and has a compartment sealed in back of it to fill in with all your details ( I- E) date of birth and all that needed in case of emergecies I chose a kneckless with a lovely St Christafor on the front it is a Talisman shape I wear it all the time and it looks really nice ' hope this of help ti you!I just typed Talisman in EBay and you then get a selection of sellers Good luck from Blubberbabe2
  • Posted

I visited my rheumatologist today and told him I would be out the country for two weeks. He stated that I should not start the next taper until I returned. The reason that he gave is that the body takes four of five days to adjust to the new dose of steroids and it is normal to feel confused, tired and etc. Since I would not be in my normal routine I could confuse tiredness caused by extra activity with a bad reaction to the new dose.

Besides, you don't want to mess up the first four days of your vacation.

• Posted

cc23145

Very wise words from your rheumatologist - stick with him! Have a good trip.

• Posted

Hiya CC. Glad your Rheumys appointment went well. Have a good holiday. Take care. Stay well. Xx
  • Posted

I have found Universal Medical ID to be great, and better than Medic Alert, for one thing, with Universal Medical ID, you don't pay an annual fee, like you do with Medic Alert, and they do have a 24/7 phone number like Medic Alert, also the Universal one has other advantages, such as, you get to manage your own interactive health record online, and as well as the emergency services being able to telephone the emergency number, they can also access your record online if they want too. Here is the link to their site, hope it's of help to someone: http://www.universalmedicalid.co.uk
    • Posted

Hi,have you got a blue card given to you by your GP?
    • Posted

Don't think we have a blue card here in the UK, correct me if I am wrong, ta?
    • Posted

My GP downloaded and printed out a card for me detailing my PMR and medication on the front and it also has a section to list all my medications and conditions.It's not blue although I believe it's supposed to be according to the Diabetes UK website.I live in South Wales.

However it's probably not as good as a bracelet Although I'm not sure if a bracelet will list more than1 condition.

I also have T2 Diabetes,Hypertension and Osteoarthritis so this card works best for me.

• Posted

Blue Steroid Cards are available (or should be!) from your GP and your pharmacist.
    • Posted

I have a few things listed on the bracelet that I wear, you can engrave on the front and back of the bracelet.  I do reccomend a bracelelet or something, I have found the Universal Medical ID to be good, without ongoing cost, wearing the bracelet, and I do have dog tags too, when I am out, gives me a peace of mind, as it's already clear on me, about the main problems, such as diabetes, then the emergency medical staff, can access my online medical record, or telephone a 24/7 number, and a person will access it for them.
    • Posted

Ah, the only steroid I am on, is an eye drop, I have all this covered on my Universal Medical ID, thanks for the reply though.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info.My daughter had one many years ago and they were pretty basic then and you could buy them in the Jewellers.
    • Posted

You are welcome. I used to be with Medic Alert, but they charge an annual fee, whereas Universal Medical ID don't, and I found them to be better than Medic Alert in the UK, because with Universal Medical ID, you maintain your own online medical record, about your conditions, medication, emergency contacts, etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.