Diet

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone have any diet tips on the dos and do nots for UC? I am still discovering what makes me flare up and what doesn't but any tips will be much appreciated

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I find alcohol the worst, sprouts, cabbage and broccoli are quite bad too, but as I love veg I only have a few, still get stomach pains but hey ho, I love veg! Although I've been told I have UC and I.B.S. I'm not losing any weight like most, is this common? That question is for anyone who can answer.
  • Posted

Hi, i have left side UC and IBS, i recently found some tips from a friend. Changed to lactos free milk. Decaf tea bags, as well as decaf coffee. Also Wheat or gluten free bread. You will find most of the large supermarkets, now do a free from range of products. Its still early days for me, but all the signs are good. Now been 9 days without a flare up. For severe tummy pains i was advised to get Buscopan, which works for me. Hope this helps in some way and that you get some relief of your symptoms.
  • Posted

It took me a while to really find what diet suits me the best. My colon

issues were preceded by chronic heat burn which I was on

presciptions for. The heart burn was just one of the many symptoms I displayed for years, sore joints, lack of energy, fluid retention and of

course constant irregularity. I did not listen to my body and did not

understand that what was going on was more serious than just. There are lots of common allergies out there. I would try one by one

removing them from your diet, see how you feel. Dairy, eggs,

wheat/gluten, peanuts, sugar, corn and soy are probably the

most common. For me I have issues with peanuts, eggs, sugar and

mildly with gluten. The worst for me are preservatives. I can eat fresh baked bread, but not store bread. I cannot eat prepackaged meals. I have to eat fresh. After 5 years, I know my body. I still on occasion

eat some things I shouldn't knowing it will bother me, however since

my body stays in such a calm condition due to my diet, I can

occasionally stray with minimal side effects. Listen to your body. It is

telling you what you need and don't need.

• Posted

A lot of this I have done and although still not in remission as yet and still bleeding trying small quantities of things then jot down which cause stomach ache etc etc cut tons out losing weight but needed to anyway, but bleeding reducing but on steriod supps at mo so probably a combo smile Good book from hosp they gave me says good n bad things to add/remove from diet smile
  • Posted

There is a really good book called the virgin diet. I discovered it after I had already found what was giving me issue, but it really reinforced

my personal situation. They recommend eliminating certain foods

completely which is what I did. Then add one back at a time. I only

ate fresh vegetables and fish for 2 weeks. Afterward my colonoscopy

showed all of the ulceration was healed. Others may have conditions

that are more severe than mine and a change in diet just supports

their medications, for me it eliminated my symptoms. Now I stray

occasionally, but I do not eat anything with gluten more than once a

day and I check the labels for preservatives and additives that are

based on the items that I am sensitive to. Even some items

considered healthy, like soy, give many issues and too much salt or

sugar gives me indigestion.

• Posted

This is what I have been doing for a month and it does help, I have added in seaweed but am careful not to go over the stated daily dose I try to have it 2-3 times a week smile
  • Posted

Hi all,

For me diet was really difficult to tie down with regard to flare ups.Over ten years I cut out just about everything, alcohol, bread, dairy you name it. Apart from nuts, chilli and brown bread everything else made little or no difference in the end.

The one thing that really made a difference was stress. A really bad time at work, lots of worrying, sleepless nights etc, and guaranteed a week or so later flare up.

• Posted

The SCD Diet(Specific Carbohydrate Diet) was designed for those with Colitis and Crohns and is very effective. Once you feel well enough Paleo is a decent diet too. You can find a ton of cook books for both.
    • Posted

just found loads of free kindle books on these think when in remission I will give them a go smile
  • Posted

I am not one to say that modern medicine does not have its

place, but having lived through 15 years of varied symptoms which

included my doctor telling me I was in the early stages of gout...

startling to say the least. I am convinced that diet plays a huge role in somany of the associated symptoms. Our food is so process and sprayed and genetically altered for the sake of mass production. To every action there is a reaction and I think that in the next few years doctors will beginto focus on diet more and more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.