Diet

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi. I have a weak les muscle and therefore suffer gerd. I take between 1 or 2 lansoprazole everyday. Ive also notice that stress,anger,anxiety all make it worse.

Just wondering if anyone has a diet to follow to help symptoms. I am vegetarian though. Im 12.5 stone and almost 6ft tall so im not really over weight.

Any help would be appreciated

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Okay, GERD is almost always a culmination of many issues. All of these play a role.

Weak lower esophageal sphincter.

Stomach damage that causes gastritis and prevents the stomach from producing enzymes and bicarbonate.

An imbalance of bad bacteria in the gut that causes excess gas production that forces it's was through the stomach and pushes acid up the esophagus.

Constipation.

I will private massage the enzymes I use. Then to help heal the stomach I recommend lots of organic probiotic yogurt. 1/4 cup 4 times a day. The last one right before bed. Take 1 tablespoon of low acid olive oil every hour, and 5 drops of REAL natural vitamin E, and a full capsule before bed.

Incline your bed 8 inches using books.

Now comes my carbonated water treatment that cured my GERD.

Using fresh, plain or flavored, low sodium carbonated water. Drink 8 oz of CW. Then hold down the burp for 5 minutes. Don't try to do anything else during the treatments. It may be uncomfortable at first but will get easier. Do this 5 times a day.

Each week add 5 minutes to the sessions and add 1 oz CO per week.

At week 4 you should be at 20 minute sessions and up to 11 oz of CO.

Keep me posted if you have any questions or issues. John

• Posted

GERD is almost always a culmination of many issues. All of these play a role.

Weak lower esophageal sphincter.

Stomach damage that causes gastritis and prevents the stomach from producing

enzymes and bicarbonate.

An imbalance of bad bacteria in the gut that causes excess gas production that forces

it's was through the stomach and pushes acid up the esophagus.

Constipation.

I will private massage the enzymes I use. Then to help heal the stomach I recommend

lots of organic probiotic yogurt. 1/4 cup 4 times a day. The last one right before bed.

Take 1 tablespoon of low acid olive oil every hour, and 5 drops of REAL natural

vitamin E, and a full capsule before bed.

Incline your bed 8 inches using books.

Now comes my carbonated water treatment that cured my GERD.

Using fresh, plain or flavored, low sodium carbonated water. Drink 8 oz of CW. Then

hold downthe burp for 5 minutes. Don't try to do anything else during the treatments.

It may be uncomfortable at first but will get easier. Do this 5 times a day.

Each week add 5 minutes to the sessions and add 1 oz CO per week.

Keep me posted if you have any questions or issues. John**

• Posted

*Using fresh, plain or flavored, low sodium carbonated water. Drink 8 oz of CW. Then hold down the burp for 5 minutes. Don't try to do anything else during the treatments. It may be uncomfortable at first but will get easier. Do this 5 times a day.Each week add 5 minutes to the sessions and add 1 oz CO per week.

• Posted

Thanks i will most certainly try this. what sort of food do you recommend in the mean time?

Also, is this a good way to taper off lansoprazole?

• Posted

Yes, it will help. All acid blocking drugs cause acid revenge when you reduce your dosage. I recommend reducing the dosage over 60 days. Some foods are difficult to digest, like beef or deep fried foods like french fries. The enzymes I recommended will reduce the stomachs acid output. The yogurt will help with the bloating. It takes quite some time to heal the stomach and get thing back in balance, so be patient. Use regular antacid tablets or liquid if needed. The don't cause acid revenge. John

• Posted

lanzoprazole is not very good, I would ask to change medication to esomeprazole. Most people have better results from it.

As for your diet avoid rich creamy and fatty foods, carbonated drinks, anything acidic like certain fruits, pickles and things like white wine and champagne, caffeine is supposed to be bad as well and sugary and spicy foods. In an ideal world it would be easy to eat a really healthy boring diet, but we live in the real world so what I do is If I want something fatty I avoid all of the other foods and drinks. It is hard to give everything up and sometimes you may want wine and pizza, so double your ppi dose that day.

But since I changed my tablet to esomeprazole I have less problems than I did on lanzoprazole.

• Posted

Ive also been experiencing the feeling of being full of gas after lunch every afternoon. It gets very painful at times. I notice this gas makes my reflux worse.

• Posted

to reduce gas eat slowly make sure you chew your food a few times before swallowing. Never eat standing up and avoid sugar and carbonated drinks. You may have a food allergy or intolerance which could be making your symptoms worse. A common one is lactose. Keep a food diary to see when your symptoms are worse and if there is a specific food type you are eating each time you get bad symptoms cut it out of your diet for 2-3 weeks and see if there is an improvement. It could be lactose, gluten, fructose or fodmaps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.