Diet advice for gastritis, ibs and fissure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Dear all,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place,

I've been waiting for a dietetic referral since October and really need some advice. I'm a recovered anorexic but have lost weight due to a bad bout of gastritis. I've now developed what is apparently ibs and I have recurrent anal fissures that have been painful since September.

I need to gain some weight.

I need to not irritate my stomach

I need to not irritate my bowels

I need to not have hard stools (already taking softeners daily...)

I've already cut out coffee, citrus and alcohol.

I'm vegetarian and lactose intolerant, and I do not know which other foods trigger the ibs. I know there aren't professional dieticians here but it's probably going to be another month or two before I see someone. I'm fed up with feeling so damned tired all the time.

Any ideas are very welcome

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I can relate to all your requests....suffering from slow gut motility which causes constipation, pain and a host of other stuff.       I don't haae an eating disorder but my life revolves around deciding what to eat getting food,etc.    My yardstick is pain - constant and sometimes i do not anylyse what has caused as I am only 37kgs and havae to eat.       Try to keep to soft foods, nothing uncooked only avocado, banana and prunes.

What softners do you use?      I grind flax soak in rice milk overnight and also Movicol powder, plus lots of water and herb teas.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi. How did you find out you had slow gut motility?

i think that's my problem too but I don't know him to deal with it...

can you offer anything else that helps? 

Thank you

• Posted

Hi rvf,

Thanks for your reply. Thankfully I'm still more or less a healthy weight,just a bit below my target and struggling to get those pounds back on. At 37kg I'm surprised you have much energy to decide on food sad

I take dulcoease each day, and have been told to do so for months after my impressively resilient anal fissures heal.

Prunes, now there's an idea. Unfortunately it seems that as soon as I look at stuff like that I get diarrhea. Sigh. Stupid innards.

I might try flax though, that sounds good.

Ella you can try a product called motillum, it speeds up digestive transit.

• Posted

Uh, oh motilium is for gastric emptying not bowel transit. Right. Well that pretty much sums up why my doctorate is in biochemistry and not medicine.
  • Posted

After an absolutely terrible week of awful pain from my stomach down to my lower abdomen, nausea, loose stools and worsening of anal fissure symptoms I'm just so fed up and upset.

I'm going to call the Dr again because I don't belive there is nothing that can be done. If she draws a blank I might push for a gastro referral even though she seems to think all my symptoms are due to anxiety.

I just want to be able to eat, digest and poo without pain again and without feeling like crying. Is that too much to ask?

sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.