Diet and LS/LP

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have both LS and LP and have gained so much support and advise from this forum.

Since being diagnosed a couple of years ago and receiving treatment, I have reasonable

control and am doing well. However, like many of us I have identified certain things that

cause the condition to flare. I have been very focused on what I use in respect to toiletries.

Also things like underwear material tight jeans and sitting for long periods.

Despite avoiding all of these as I am aware that they affect me, I do still get unexplained

flares and sometimes they are quite severe and take a while to calm down.

I have never really focussed on diet but have read several threads whereby people

have mentioned certain foods that affect them. I would be really interested to know

what experiences people have had and any foods that have caused their condition to flare.

I am wondering if there are any similarities or trends with any of you ladies that I should look

out for and maybe reduce my flares even more. Thank you in advance.

Wx

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I find stress to be my biggest trigger. However, when I had just been diagnosed and was having the worst of it  (couldn't wear underwear, couldn't sit, extreme itching, extreme pain etc) I found that some foods would make things worse. I went on a brown rice elimination diet. Once I adhered to it strictly things started to calm down and then  I began to introduce items back into the diet to see if it had an effect or not. It is difficult at first, but then I started to feel so good it wasn't that hard. I also have LS around the anus and having regular, easy bowel movements is necessary for me to stop tearing. The diet was/is awesome for that aspect. 

I think the commonly cited offenders are gluten, dairy, alcohol,  extra sugar and stress. 

• Posted

Thank you ElleF. I agree with the stress bit as I have been there

and experienced the effects. Like you I also have LS around my

anus and have to ensure that bowel movements are regular and

soft to stop pain and tearing. It's one of the reasons I want to be

really careful about what I want to eliminate. It's good to hear

you feel so much better and I suppose in theory if something we

consume can affect our LS, then our body obviously doesn't like it.

• Posted

Interested as well. The doctor told me to try s gluten free diet because my inflammatory markers are really high.
  • Posted

Hello-

To answer your question. I went on a Ketogenic diet for about 5-6 weeks. I really thought the LS would subside but during that time it was surprisingly bad. During Keto-my daily carb intake was less than 20. Also I did not have alcohol during this time, sugar or any gluten. That said, I ate dairy everyday and much more than I normally would. I've decided to eliminate dairy (with the exception of a little cream in my morning coffee. It's too soon to say as it's been less than a week. Will update. 

As an aside my stress level is through the roof. 

• Posted

Look forward to your update. Good luck.
  • Posted

I would love to hear what everyone says here. For me I have found that sugar causes a flare and also tomatoes. I don't necessarily like tomatoes but not having red sauce has been saddening to me. Any bit of it has me up all night with an itchy butt. smile

I haven't 100% cut out gluten because I am not sure if that is what bothers me. I love beer and when I drink one it doesn't bother me. Also when I have had noodles here and there that didn't bother me. I wish I knew if it was or wasn't gluten because I am not sure if I should eat it or not

• Posted

Thank you Melissa, I am anxious that I will discover something I

love is going to be a culprit, so I feel for you with the tomato sauce.

I think the only way to be sure though about any item, is to be

really strict and eliminate completely. I would think you are OK

with gluten if you are not getting any reaction to noodles etc. I

suppose like everything it may be different things for different

people.

• Posted

I think Sugar is a problem for me. Keeping regular by taking extra fiber [product name removed by moderator] helps too.

Keeping on the Clobetasol two to three times a week is maintenance.

Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

For me it is:   added sugar,  alcohol, gluten, dairy, caffeine that I have to avoid.
    • Posted

Hello Hanny, Sugar appears to be a common one and luckily I

do not have a sweet tooth. However, there is sugar in so much

that we eat. But I think it may be a good place to start.

Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

Gluten sugar and dairy free do not use steroids only use castor oil and Chinese herbs I feel that I am in remission no more itching
    • Posted

Thank you cheryl but I could definitely not survive without my

Betnovate. I have tried several alternatives without much success

but do use coconut oil and sodium bicarbonate for fusing.

Again I see that sugar is a culprit. Can I ask, do you eat any

sugar at all? And what about natural sugars in fruit etc. I am pretty

certain that I am OK with dairy products as I drink a lot of milk

and eat cheese and yogurt daily. Despite this I do not have

continuous symptoms, just every few weeks or so.

• Posted

Eat nothing Dairy nothing with gluten and nothing with sugar
  • Posted

I cut out coffee, that made a difference. I will have a sip from my husband's cup for the taste, but no more. Gone is the nightly glass of wine though I will have an occasional one. Sugar is a big culprit, I eat no prepared food so I'm not getting the hidden sugars. I now find I can have a very small piece of cake without problems, but not more than once a week. I am fine on fruit and fine with gluten, all my bread is homemade. I think I eat very cleanly, and cook mostly from scratch. This has really helped. There's so much that goes into our food that shouldn't. And then there's stress... Trying to become more chilled. Without the help of that wine...

• Posted

Thank you, this is all so helpful and sugar is out. Might hold fire on the wine for a bit longer though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.