diet and weight loss and celery seed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just want to share what I guess is good news, my uric acid down to 5.6, probably the lowest it's been in a long time.  And I haven't had either a gout or pseudo-gout attack in going on two years.

Due to some other medical issues and their resolution I've finally been able to lose some weight, I wasn't fat overall but the belly was getting pretty big.  I'm probably down to a weight I haven't seen in twenty years, but then with age more of that old muscle has turned to fat so maybe that's just a good move.  A bit of belly left, but I'm out of my fat pants and back to more or less standard sizes.

So that was maybe a chance to shed some old uric acid, too.  I started taking celery seed capsules (and a little more for cooking!) about a year ago but my uric acid was still a tad high, so I've cut a favorite food, hummus, out of my diet, and most other legumes too.  I still eat modest amounts of meat.  I avoid fresh fish like the plague.

So over about five months, that has gotten my numbers down in the middle of the normal range.  Maybe I'll celebrate with a bowl of split pea soup.

Maybe the doctor can stop hectoring me about taking allopurinol.  Of course he's never heard of celery seed but he's sure it can't be any good.  However I recommend it.  Cherry juice never did anything for me, btw.  You can get celery seed in capsules, or in bulk for cooking.  With a little effort you can find the bulk and it's dirt cheap.  Also tasty!  A 500mg capsule of non-standardized seed is equivalent to about five large sticks of fresh celery - it's the 3nb compound in both that smells and tastes like celery.  You can also get standardized capsules, I think it's about 180mg for the same dose, standardized.  Usually costs a little more.

And, I think each of my several gout attacks have been traceable, after the fact, to diet.  At first I never even heard of gout, and that one was triggered by hummus.  Later ones were triggered by such things as pickled herring, and fresh trout, and in no great amounts.  Perhaps my metabolism is just naturally on the edge and this pushes me over.  But again, celery/seed seems to help almost immediately with outbreaks, seems to be preventing new outbreaks, and is lowering my base number.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I’ve also been taking celery seed for over 6 months. Took 5 weeks to get rid of the gout in both my feet. Been fine ever since but I still take a daily maintenance dose.

When I told my very elderly GP about it he admitted he knew nothing about celery seed capsules.

• Posted

Good for you! When you would get attacks, what were your uric acid levels at?...if u don't mind me asking.

• Posted

I had about four attacks over fifteen years that I now attribute to gout, and maybe two more that I now attribute to pseudo-gout.  Never got formal medical treatment for any ... probably should have.  I know my uric acid level has been over ten in the past but don't have a full history.

• Posted

I'm the female version of you, lol. The exact same foods that trigger your gout also trigger mine with the exception that wheat is also a huge culprit in my case. I never took celery seed, but I just bought a bag of some to try. Although, my uloric acid is 4.5, I'm hoping it will diminish of the pseudo-gout tinged I feel. I'm not fat at all, my bmi is 23, but I would like it lower but I do have to eat because otherwise, I end up getting sick. The perils of staying thin.

• Posted

I'm the female version of you, lol. The exact same foods that trigger your gout also trigger mine with the exception that wheat is also a huge culprit in my case. I never took celery seed, but I just bought a bag of some to try. Although, my uloric acid is 4.5, I'm hoping it will diminish some of the pseudo-gout tinged I feel. I'm not fat at all, my bmi is 23, but I would like it lower but I do have to eat because otherwise, I end up getting sick. Oh well, the perils of staying thin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.