Diet + Ankle surgery recovery 5-8 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

As the title suggests I'm currently 5 weeks post op a ligament and a peroneal tendon repair on my left ankle.

I found myself gaining 10-12lbs in these 5 weeks(if not worse). I've definitely ate whatever I wanted and whenever I wanted. I did try to eat nutritious meals and keep up my protein.

Now that I'm mobile in an aircast, I hate this feeling. It reminds me of when I was 110kg before i changed my habits and dropped to 82lg

My question is what should my diet be? I'd love to do a slight deficit and eat plenty of protein to slim out but I'm afrisd to negatively affect the recovery. I'm gonna see my doctor in 3 weeks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Good morning. It will soon be a year since my surgery. I lost 30 pounds while laid up. Went on Atkins which is a hi protein diet so just a thought. I also found chair exercising on Netflix. Good luck and speed recovery
  • Posted

I surprisingly lost 12 kg over 8 weeks. Didn't have a great appetite thanks to pain. Ate nuts cheese gallons of free and water. Took up smoking (gave that up once I could walk) I think  1/2 hourly heaving in and out of wheelchair to get out side to smoke lack of sleep allergies to pain meds and maxalon to stop puking all impacted weight loss. And boy did I need to loose it. 

• Posted

Andre

I feel ur pain.

I think weight gain under any circumstances makes us feel bad about ourselves.

Try to be gentle with yourself- eating was a way to comfort yourself and deal with down time.

I would try to take it one baby step at a time...something to do to occupy some of time spent eating...it could b meditation- going to a gym ...doing upper body exercise.. coloring...getting out of house...something where u can't eat and get some fulfillment doing it

I would keep certain foods out of the house as not to be tempted. I would keep lots and lots of appealing veggies on hand.

I would not restrict myself because I would end up to hungry and resenful and end up bingeing.

I would remind myself How did I lose and maintain the weight before.. is it a reasonable way to do it again?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.