Diet? & availability of HZ/su vaccine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been experiencing the affects of shingles for nearly 5 months, not had any pain / rash (extremely fortunate) just the uncomfortable nerve sensations, almost cold like symptoms and strange itches (feels like needles) in various places. Not sure when this is going to end at all, quiet frustrating as I'm generally an active person and when I try and do some exercise I certainly feel worse for wear afterwards. I've tried Lysine and B12 and tbh for me it's had little or no benefit whatsoever.

My question is has anyone had any luck with changing their diet to either prevent or recover quicker. I imagine the dietary side of things most likely only helps as regards prevention.

Anyone know when the new vacine will be available in the UK or US?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have found that gluten free and dairy free seem to help a bit. I also want to know more about the vaccine....i hope you start to feel better soon.
    • Posted

This may sound bad / lazy but I'm not prepared to change my diet unless I can get some guarantee of aleviation of shingles. I just like food smile 

Yes I hope to feel better soon but I consider myself very lucky considering what others are going through so musn't grumble smile

• Posted

It could be up to 2 years for the vaccine. Diet definitely matters!
    • Posted

If there was any chance it would get rid of Shingles I'd change my diet but I don't see any evidence to support this but I felt I had to ask in case there was someone for whom it had worked.

• Posted

They do, BUT a new one is on its way called Shingrix. It I has tested 97% effective compared to the 53% efficacy of the current vaccine.
  • Posted

Does anyone know why I keep getting these shingles back..I have had them many times in the past year..thank you.
    • Posted

No absolute reason, however stress seems to play a part. Also how long and severe your first outbreak also seems to matter. My first outbreak lasted 3 months. The first 6 weeks was the blisters, itching and pain. It started on my lower back, went around my waist till my bellybutton and up about another inch or so. The worst was the internal pain. My stomach felt like I had been kicked by a horse, as well as by back. After 6 weeks when the rash had subsided, the pain and fatigue lingered for the next 6 weeks. Then 9 months later I had my second outbreak. This time started with extreme fatigue, then a small loonie size blisters by my last vertebra above my butt. Ten months later.....now....I have had my third outbreak. Same fatigue, same spot. The first outbreak happened a few weeks after my right knee replacement. The second after a minor surgery on my left knee. Even though I really didn't think I was under any stress, perhaps I was internally, not too sure. This last time was 6 weeks after a minor fender bender while I was out of the country. I eat really well and take lots of Lysine. I feel this is helping, but I certainly want to find answers as well. I am really hoping that this new vaccine they are talking about is ready in the next year or so. Hope you find some answers. Best Wishes

• Posted

A lot of people point to stress but show me someone who doesn't have stress. Stress is just an easy answer for even the common cold or any illness for that matter!

• Posted

Don't they already have the shingles vaccine, or is this something different?

• Posted

I have had about 6 episodes since last January! My PA now thinks it is just Herpes Simplex virus and not Shingles, so I had two blisters sampled on Saturday to see if she is correct. I get burning electric pain in my face and palate on the right side, then for the first time 3 weeks ago it was also painful from the tip of my nose towards the corner of my eye and I had a puffy watery eye. I was on 3 grams daily of Valacyclovir for a week and Prednisone. Off the Meds for 10 days and I got the burning pain on the right side of my face and palate again! A day later I had what looked like a spider bite on my left shoulder and leg, the following day and extra spot on the same leg and two days later a lesion on my right hip! Also very tired. I'm very stressed at work, which might keep triggering it. I will find out on Tuesday if it is Shingles or H. Simplex. I feel for you, I've tried Lysine etc.., but it is still recurring. It's frustrating for sure, but not knowing exactly what's wrong is worse.

• Posted

I have had what might be Shingles after two colonoscopies- so maybe the a anesthesia triggers it?? I had two of this week's blisters tested to see if it really is Shingles or Herpes Simplex as the PA I see thinks, she's puzzled that it recurs so often!

• Posted

I am so sorry, I too know how frusterating this is!! I asked my dr if he could check to make sure these are shingles his reply was...he knows by looking at them...I am thinking about seeing a different dr...Does anyone know what kind of dr I would go to, also I am seeing on here there are different types of shingles..very confused...I have been trying to research this .. everything I am reading says it is uncommon to get these back again..as I said I have been struggling with these for over a year!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.