Diet causing niggles????

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi once again :D

With my op likely to be soon, i embarked on a healthy low-low fat diet, i know the hospital said my weight wasn't an issue as far as an op but i figure the less overweight i am the better. I've been on it 3 weeks now and lost half a stone, thats great BUT I am having MAJOR niggles pretty much all the time, not severe enough to be classed as an 'attack' but bad enough to stop me in my tracks if you get what i mean sad

So i have a bit of a dilemma, the weightloss is great but the pain most definitely not. What would you recommend?? part of me is hoping its just coincidence but the niggles have increased at least 3 fold so maybe not! I am eating alot more fruit could that be causing it??

Any answers appreciated guys and gals, cos i cant carry on like this much longer sad

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You are in pain because your Gallbladder is well and truely knackered, the sooner you get it out the better :? Ask your GP for some pain relief smile
  • Posted

I read an article that said if you lose weight too quickly it can affect your gall bladder as it doesn't open and close as often as if you were follwoing a normal diet.

In fact crash dieting is one of the factors attributed to causing gallstones!

• Posted

[b:96fb13e089]Tracker [/b:96fb13e089]already has Gallstones [b:96fb13e089]LellyM[/b:96fb13e089], the low fat diet is to help mitigate any Gallstone attacks smile
  • Posted

Tracker,

I have recently had my gallbladder removed,and was on a low fat diet. I only had a couple of small \"attacks\" when I cut out fat,but had a lot of niggly pains all the time It was mostly in my upper ribcage area,and was like trapped wind going all round,and all sorts of odd aches and pains in the abdomen area. I am glad to say that these have all disappeared ,apart from an occasional lower pain which comes when I need to go to the loo,and goes as soon as I have been. I only had my Op on 21st April,so I am still in the recovery stage. It is wonderful not to have all that pain anymore. I didnt realise just how much pain the gallstones were really causing,as you tend to accept a niggly pain after the severe stuff that you have with an attack.I just thought it was trapped wind and flatulence or even bad posture,until now, when I can eat a meal without feeling queasy and uncomfortable with pain in my guts all the time.Now I really feel the benefit,and know that the operation has been well worth it.

Good Luck with yours,and don't worry,you will soon be pain free.

Cheers,

Jean

• Posted

Dr Spock,

just meant to say, if a diet can cause gallstones then it could follow that a similar diet could cause gallstone pain??????

LellyM xx

• Posted

For info,

I am also following a low fat diet and taking Orlistat and my gallbladder has been niggly almost constantly.

Nothing bad but enough to make me want to stretch my side out and feel sick.

Thought I was in for it last night but luckliy it didn't develop into anything.

When I was first diagnosed (and before hand) I had an attack about every 4-6 months. Now I have more frequent attacks and almost constant discomfort. I guess I am just filling up with rocks! Scary - i am terrified of having a bad one again! :x

Lelly xx

• Posted

Hi LellyM

Just wanted to know what is orlistat?

Benji smile

• Posted

Benji,

orlistat is a weight loss drug (advertised on TV as Alli) that stops you absorbing 2/3 of the fat in your diet.

Lelly xx

• Posted

Thanks for the replies smile

Thinking about it yes you are right it is cos my gallbladders knackerd, how silly do i feel :oops:

Putting things in perspective yes i get the niggly pains but i havent had an 'attack' for the last 3 weeks :D So on reflection i know which i prefer! Lost another 2lb this week, not a huge amount but hey small steps and all that smile

LellyM, I can see your point but i am afraid if it was the diet it'd still be the lesser of 2 evils. How are you finding the orlistat? I bought some of the OTC ones but it was a waste of money as theres not enough fat in my diet for it to take effect (plus those side effects sounded too scary!)

Think i might be cheeky and give the hospital a call to see how long the wait is now, they rang me the other week as they had a cancellation but it was in less than 24hours and my husband was in hospital so with 2 small kids it just wasn't possible sad

• Posted

Hi Tracker

I am waiting for my operation date as well I can't wait to have it out. I like you suffer with niggly pains especially if I have been sitting for a while but touch wood with following a fat free diet I have managed to avoid another full scale attack for 3 months now. I feel as though everything is on hold until I get the op date, I rang the consultant and was just told you are on the waiting list :?

Benji

• Posted

Hi Tracker,

I agree - the niggles I get are much easier to handle than a full blown attack.

The orlistat is going well. The prescription version is a higher dosage than the OTC ones. But you do need to have an amount of fat in yr diet which I find difficult. if not, they dont really do anything.

But I have lost 19lbs in 2 months so something must be working!

Lelly xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.