Diet following fundoplication

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had the procedure done 7 days ago. Was advised to introduce a soft diet from day after surgery for 6 weeks.

Has anyone who previously stopped eating pasta tried reintroducing pasta on this diet? According to the leaflet from hospital I should be able to eat pasta as long as extra sauce is added, but I had trouble keeping pasta down for a few years before the op, so is it worth the risk?

Also has anyone successfully reintroduced bread?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiya

I had a fundiplication 2 years ago, for at least 6 weeks I stayed on cereals with warm milk, smoothies, soups, mashed potato etc, anything that was soft and quite runny. Gradually i introduced harder food but bread I found quite hard to get down, toast was easier. Now i pretty much eat what I want I don't know about the pasta thing.

Good luck!

• Posted

I know this is off-topic but by any chance did you have this operation via the NHS in the UK? Looking to ask a few questions relates to it if possible

• Posted

For info I had mine done on the NHS too but in England. It was all very 'tight' to start with and I struggled with some foods, the only lasting issue i have is that can no longer vomit which is horrible if I pick up a gastric bug also I can't belch either.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear that. that was a big fear of mine, but I am still able to do both.

Tried pasta (with bistro gravy, which I am glad to say was much tastier than it sounds) And that was fine.

My diet sheet also says I could have moist sponge cake... Unfortunately, this is how I found I can still vomit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.