Diet for Achalasia sufferers, what works for you?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Very new to forum, and have fond some interesting articles. My diagnosis of achalasia is fairly recent, but my symptoms have been with me for several years.  now 100% certain following monometry, ph tests etc.  have been offered surgery, but don't want it ......yet! Also want to hold off on Botox.    So, can it be managed by diet?  I have given up eating meat, as this is difficult to swallow, and try to avoid all acid foods, never eat after 6 pm now, as I wake up coughing and sometimes  vomitting during  the night.  So has anyone seen a recommended diet for sufferers of this horrible condition?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have not had success with any diet. I don't recommend Botox treatment either. If you aren't going to do the surgery (if you are young and healthy otherwise I do recommend the POEM-get your life back!!) i suggest the dilation and the meds. They helped me thus far. I am due for surgery on the 21st. I attempted it once before in June and aspirated during intubation. So make sure you really discuss this disease with the anesthesiologist whenever being put out. 

Good luck!!

• Posted

I waited too long before surgery, almost 4 years! Wish I had done it sooner! Messed up my esophagus by waiting! I have a dilated, truncated esophagus now! My advice to you is, don't wait!!!

• Posted

Te nearest thing is the food tips in A Patient's Guide to Achalasia that you can download from the achalasia section of website of the Oesophageal Patients Association, but it is not the same for everyone!

• Posted

No success with diet here. The botox, dallitation, or operation are your best options.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.