Diet for BPH

Posted , 11 users are following.

I would like to know if you are on diet for your BPH and what are you doing for a healthy prostate. Any suggestions, please let me know.

I have stopped a lot of things in my diet : no diary products, red meat, processed foods and I have included a lot of vegetables. Green smoothie every day in the morning.

I want to lose few kilos specially belly fat..

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am on a pretty bland diet with BPH, especially during flair-ups. My Doc. gave strict instructions, no alcohol, no caffeine, no spicy foods. Sometimes, I've had to learn the lesson the hard way and tried a cup of coffee one morning when I was tired. I also drank a beer at a friends party. I regretted both. The effects were that all BPH symptoms became significantly worse within an hour, and lasted for 6-8 hours. I've also discovered a connection with red meat. Every time I eat red meat, the BHP symptoms get worse, like with caffeine and alcohol. I do pretty well avoiding alcohol, caffeine, spicy foods, and red meat. I miss those things but being able to pee is a big reward.

I wonder if the diet restrictions are a permanent part of BPH. I started to have the diet problems when the Doc increased my dose of Tamsulosin from .4mg to .8 mg per day.  

• Posted

The only food related connection I can make is if I have more than 1 drink, my peeing becomes more frequent and the feeling that I have not emptied my bladder becomes stronger.  Don't really notice this with other things like spicy foods or red meat (which I eat only a few times a month).  I drink caffeinated beverages very rarely but don't notice effects from those either.  I am on 4mg doxazosin.

• Posted

I'm like lee. I eat spicy food a few times a month. Drink iced tea every day. Eat dark chocolate. I don't drink alcohol so I don't know about that. In the end were all individuals and.what effects one person may not bother another.

• Posted

Hi, dont know how true it is but from what I have seen your on the right track to avoid cancer if you also ditch alcohol, coffee, tea and drink green tea, also I was told studies show eating penuts and walnuts helps and at the same time reduces the need for meat protein, but you will need to get calcium from somewhere eg asians eat small dried fish with the bones, but apparently toxic much in our bodies from eg petrol, oil, paint, etc can aggravate  the prostate so by going on such a diet helps especially plenty of greens to clean out the muck, and lose weight, kind regards Brian.
    • Posted

Brian, thanks for the excellent input. It's amazing to me, a 70 yr old, and always very health conscious, that alcohol and caffeine have such an impact on the body. I drank coffee every morning for 40 years, kept it to 1 cup (10 oz). Now, I've been off coffee and alcohol for a month and the other night commented I to my wife and daughter (both healthcare professionals) how much better I was sleeping. They weren't surprised, saying that coffee, even 1 cup early in the day can affact sleep. Many people (good sleepers) won't notice but poor sleepers, like me, will notive the difference.

• Posted

Hi Joseph, after my last email I remembered I should have also said you have to ditch the sugar!

natural sugar from fruits etc I imagine will be less damaging if not beneficial, my guess is very healthy for us although I recall many years ago it was announced on the news in Australia to always peel your fruit to avoid spray.

• Posted

Hi Bruno,

I think eating sensibly will make you healthier in the long run but I think BPH is like male pattern baldness, it just get worse with time,no matter what you do. Of course all the naturalists make a lot of money from it so they have an incentive to promote their dandilion milk etc etc products.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.