Diet for colitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

My advice is to stick to strict diet for colitis and that includes white chocolate only! No cocoa! Nothing wrong with a glass of wine in moderation! However, if I want to try and live a reasonable life then that is the only way to go for me! I'll have Turkey on Christmas Day too! You really can survive if you accept life without rubbish! Good luck and happy holidays!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So on Xmas what shouldn't I eat regarding snacks meat and veg??

I've got turkey nuts crisps mince pies cauliflower cheese Brussels carrot parsnip mash stuffing balls pigs in blanket and are family tradition of prawn cocktail with lettuce cucumber tomato avocado king prawns fish sauce which is my dads only contribution to the day every year lol

I'm not planning on drinking during Xmas at all be too busy cooking if I'm well enough.

I'm just back to my strict 3 meals of simple food a day, poached egg on toast sandwich or meal replacement shake for lunch and meat veg potatoes for dinner no spice and plenty of water, been lookin back at my food diary and the past 2 weeks I've been eating double and less water more alcohol and it makes me sick just looking at what I've had over weekend, so today it's start how I did when I came out of hospital or else I'm risking Xmas with the kids

• Posted

Will try white choc (need choc fix) not bothered about alcohol trend to eat white meat only. Merry Christmas and Happy New year
  • Posted

I use Paleo and it works very well but I take christmas day off and eat whatever I want. As long as I'm strict at least 6 days a week I find I'm ok having a few non Paleo things on the seventh.
    • Posted

It's sometimes called the Caveman diet or Primal. It's eating like our ancestors did, just meats and veg, no dairy, no grains and no sugar.

If you google it you'll find a huge amount of free resources and stories of people with colitis and other medical issues who've had success with it.

It can be a bit of a big change at first but with practice and learning some recepies it becomes pretty easy to follow.

• Posted

Could you give example of what you would eat for breakfast lunch and dinner and can you still eat eggs and soya and nut milk alternatives or pro biotic yoghurts or goat products ??and what drinks can you have as at the moment drinking loads of low sugar Ribeana and mineral water as cut out alcohol and fizzy drinks and I can't tolerate milk or chocolate anyway
    • Posted

There are a few different versions but Nut Milk would be ok but Soya would not be Soya can be very bad for people with Colitis. Pro Biotic Yoghurts would be a no too as most are not as good as they claim and can actually make you worse, once you are healthy Kefir(a type of youghurt) is ok in small doses. I personally only drink mineral water but some like certain teas.

A example of a day's eating for me would be

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs or an omelete with spinach

Lunch - Large salad with or without fish or meat depending on what I feel like that day.

Dinner - Usually some type of meat with lots of veg. I do a lot of stews in my slow cooker batch them up in the freezer and they are just a defrosting away.

If I'm healthy and good then I'll snack on some nuts and Kefir inbetween.

It can differ from person to person some things you may have trouble with now but when you are healthy and out of flare you may be fine with. For example I have trouble with nuts and lettuce when in flare but they are fine when I'm healthy.

Google some web pages on Paleo diet and you'll get far more information than I can give you here as I'm not allowed to post any links.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.