Diet for diverticular disease

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've had this condition for many years. Recent tests/scan show it's now extensive throughout the bowel. I've been given conflicting advice on appropriate diet and wondered whether anyone can provide more help? I've been taking fibre gel every other day for many years. Consultant insists this should continue.

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have been wondering whether I should take fibre gel myself but I am worried it will make diarrhoea even worse if it is not too personal to ask how have you been while taking it 
    • Posted

I have been taking Fibre Gel for two years since I was diagnosed.

I have to take it twice a day.   When I'm having a flare up I go on a liquid diet for a couple of days to give the bowel a rest,   As soon as I'm starting to eat again I go straight back on the Gel.   My G P said I will need to take it for life. But now I try and stick to a bland diet.

hope this helps, but everyone is different.

• Posted

I'm very lucky really as diarrhoea is not something I suffer with every day. I was told to take fibre gel every other day so maybe this might help you. I was also told to drink lots of water which I do anyway.
  • Posted

I take fibre gel every day and no nuts ,seeds, as tomatoes ,strawberry ,cucumber ,bread with seeds nuts any seeds or nuts ,

no spicy food and no garlic or onion x

• Posted

Hello Valerie

Its very worrying for you to hear that the diverticular is now extensive. I have been told exactly the same. I was told it was a lot worse than is usual.  The only thing we can do is to avoid nuts, pips and skins, drink plenty of water and be sure to not get constipated.. Peppermint capsules sometimes help when things feel a bit unsettled.Its best to avoid any operation unless it is absolutely necessary. Vera

• Posted

I take psyllium husk from time to time but I have gotten the best results from taking probiotics every day.  I haven't had any flare ups in a year. I avoid nuts, popcorn, eat limited fried foods and cheese. It's good to not eat too much fried foods and cheese because of all the grease.  When it comes to foods, you really learn through trial and error what may give you a flare up.  The probiotics have given me the best with taking a tablet or two with my meal. I drink lots of water and even if you have a flare up or not I have avoided flare ups by doing a few days of liquids every month.  I include natural remedies as well such as aloe vera juice, herbal teas, and digestive enzyme pills.  My stomach no longer have bloating, pain, or that swollen feeling.  I hope this helps you because doctors are limited with information about this condition and it has been misdiagnosed which has lead to people actually ending up dead.

• Posted

My doctor has given me a 30 day course of Laxido but it does not seem to help things along as well as Fybogel does. Guess I will complete the course and see what happens.

Buscopan seems to lessen the pain though I am trying all sorts of remedies so am not sure which if any is more effective.

I am due for an ultrasound scan next week. Will let you all know how that goes.

• Posted

Folks,

I had my ultrasound scan today and the radiographer said she could see nothing wrong anywhere though when I asked if there was any sign of diverticaular disease she said the scan was not able to see the bowel.

I heard today that the waiting time for the colonoscopy is 32 weeks!!  I was hoping the ultrasound would reveal the cause of the cramping pains as I am not too keen to have the rear view camera thing due to risks of side effects and perforation.

Seeing my doctor next Wednesday for more discussions

• Posted

Hello Valerie.  Ive had the camera colon investigation as you mentioned and Id like to tell you that there is nothing to get worried about regarding perforation because it is all done very gently and nothing is forced round the bowel.  Directly an difficult area may be reached they stop going further.so as not to give pain or danger of perforation.  In my report to local doctor it stated that they couldnt go past a certain point because of extensive diverticular.  The staff made me feel very relaxed and I was nervous about what to expect befoehand.  Hope this helps. Im sorry to hear that there is such a long wait and hope you feel better soon. Best wishes. Vera
    • Posted

Hi Vera

thanks for that info

i have a colonoscopy to look forward to this friday(look forward to may be the wrong way of putting it) i'll admit i've been a bit worried about it,

not sure if its the camera or the bowl prep that bothers me more, i've had the bowl prep before and i think its the devils work( its eeeevvvillll)

anyway..if there as gental as you say they are i feel a little less bothered now....i think.......

• Posted

Good luck for friday! Yes the prep is dreadful _---- Its the worst part. I remember spending a whole evening near the Loo and wouldnt dare risk looking at television in the lounge.Ha Ha! When you go to the hospital they make you feel relaxed and let you ask any questions that may be worrying you.

I was put into a bed and asked if I wanted to wear a hideous giant pair of dark blue shorts (They would have come down past my knees and were ever so roomy) with a big hole in the back in preparation for the operation. I said no thank you to this and the nurse said that some people feel less exposed with these on. I was given a sedative and when it had worked they wheeled the bed into the consulting room to attack!

A nurse stays with me and its all finished quite quickly. I wa s then wheeled back to the ward for a short rest to let the sedation wear off and then told that I could go home.feeling no discomfort at all.  If when the surgeon is inserting the camera dont be afraid to tell him if it hurts in any way. He watches everything on a screen so can see where and if there is any inflamed diverticular. Best wishes . Vera

• Posted

hi.. just an update for you...had the dreaded colonoscopy yesterday.

wasn't tooo bad, but the bu***** did hurt me, (hey...i'm a big boy ...ican take it) all the staff we're supportive, tried to relax me as best they could, which helped. all in all not too bad  a day, feel a bit "second hand" today....but i except that, turns out  i also i have colitis(as if DD wasn't enough)  but .....hay ho... this is what comes from getting older,

LIFE GOES ON..... ENJOY IT

• Posted

What a good thing thats all been done. Hope your colitus soon goes away.

As you say it all comes from getting older although the nurse told me that its surprising how many young people have DD

Ask your wife to give you  an extra cuddle! Cheers Vera

• Posted

Hi Valarie

I had a colonoscopy by an oncologist as I was bleeding and had bad diaoreah.  He said I have diverticular disease.  My doctor put me on these hideous antibiotics and I've had to stop taking them as I feel worse on them than I did before taking them.  I have been told to have a high soluable fibre diet, liquids if it flares up and then slowly introduce a low fibre diet, slowly increasing to high again.  Also I have been told 8 pints of water a day is a good way to make your gut work best.

I was also using buscipan and it does seem to work better than without.  I also take probiotic, but someone told me only Yakult is worth using.  I'd be interested on all the advise I've been given so far?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.