Diet for diverticular disease ibs and gastroparesis

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am a 70 year old female with ibs c diagnosed around 7 years ago, diverticular disease found after a colonoscopy earlier in 2017 and am now awaiting a abdominal scan and upper endoscopy as the consultant thinks I might have a motility disorder lazy stomach he called it. I have been suffering bloating back pain( all over back)slight burping and indigestion but no heartburn.I also suffer from anxiety and have had lots of stress during the last few months, which of course may be contributing to the pain etc. Life is pretty miserable for both me and my husband. Both of my daughters think I should be taking tablets for the anxiety, I am not keen. My question is after looking at the diet for slow stomach emptying which seems to be low fibre I am concerned because the diverticular needs a higher fibre. Is there anyone who is dealing with a diet for both conditions. I dread getting constipation a gain.I take a fibre supplement but have read it is not advised for gastroparesis. I realise I have not been diagnosed yet but just trying to prepare if that is my diagnosis. Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

To be honest, I would wait until you have your scans and results before considering gastroparesis. I wouldn’t think too far ahead yet. Your doctor or a dietician  will be able to advise you  based on your other conditions if you have gastroparesis. 

I also have anxiety but I take nothing for it because I think anti anxiety meds would cause more problems that it would solve for me.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.  I have the scan on 9th Jan but do not have an appointment for the camera test as yet.  It is my fault really as I had one for early December but because of my anxiety my husband cancelled it.  I was up all night freaking out.  Stupid I know wish I had gone.  Now I have to wait.  The last year has been nothing but tests for myself and husband.  Really feel I can't take any more tests.  I tend to agree with you about anxiety meds.  They seems to have a lot of side effects and can sometimes not be suitable if you have other conditions.  

You are probably right about waiting I just don't know if I am eating things that I shouldn't   Do you have gastroparesis if so what symptoms do you get if you don't  mind me asking.  I feel like my life is on hold. On the 6th December my husband had a funny turn which they thought at the hospital might be a TIA or mini stroke.  The consultant stroke doctor thinks now it was a migraine.  He had a neck scan which was fine and is waiting for the MRI result to confirm or otherwise but does not see the consultant until 19th Jan.  He has not been allowed to drive for 4 week  as a precaution and I don't drive so have been doing online shopping and just short trips on the bus which is not a good service.  We moved 18 months ago from London to NW England so have been spoilt where buses and trains are concerned.  We have had to reply on family to take my husband for hospital appointments etc.  What with me having heart scans us both colonoscopies and my husband a cancer scare never mind all routine clinic appointments it is no wonder I am anxious all the time.  Sorry to bore you with all the details.

• Posted

I don’t have gastroparesis; I have IBS C which is mostly in remission. 

To find out about food triggers, try a food diary to see if you are reacting to anything.

• Posted

Yes I had thought about keeping a diary.  Like you my IBS was mostly ok until we moved around 18 months ago.  I only ever had really short flare ups lasting a day or so and it never stopped me eating anything.  I just had to be careful about getting constipated.  Today I was a bit constipated this morning and this afternoon stomach pain and loose stool so quite IBS like.  The only thing I can thing of is chocolate.  I love it but had for a couple of years trained myself to only eat small amount usually at the weekends with no digestive problems.  Because  of Christmas I have eaten more than usual perhaps this is one of the reasons.  Glad to hear your ibs is mostly in remission, long may it continue.
  • Posted

I’d wait and see what your testing reveals.  Anxiety and stomach issues go together pretty often it seems.  I understand not wanting to take something, but getting a handle on the anxiety and stress will probably help you overall.  Try some meditation or hypnosis downloads to listen to daily to help relieve some of your stress.
  • Posted

To everyone who was kind enough to reply to my post. I had the gastroscopy this morning with light sedation. Apart from gagging as the tube went down it was ok. Just got bloating and wind from the air pumped into stomach and lump in the throat from the spray which as nearly gone. Diagnosis was mild gastritis in the stomach oesophagus and duodenum normal. Back now on medication from tonight. They decided not to test for h pylori as I had a negative result 4 years ago when suffering similiar symptoms. I think that anxiety is at the heart of it with eating too quickly etc all that seems to come with anxiety including making more acid. Nothing was said about motility problems so assume it is not this. Thank you all for your advice and kind words.
    • Posted

The only way you can be sure of it not being a motility problem is by doing the Gastric Emptying Test.  You eat something they give you, and they watch to see how long it takes for your stomach to empty the food.
  • Posted

Good news!  I really find  managing anxiety and stress helpful.  I use hypnosisdownloads,com  for help.  Good luck and a happy, healthy 2018 to you!
    • Posted

Thank you so much.  I spent all last doing deep breathing and relaxation exercises and still only managed a couple of hours sleep.  I hope to get a better night this evening although I don't generally sleep that well.  I have used the mindful videos but I will look at the hypnosis you mention.  I too wish you and good 2018!

• Posted

I am an American 60 yr old female. I too have been diagnosised with IBS in early 2000s, later developed reflux, which ended up being LPR which in 2010 suddenly effected my vocal cords. Still suffering  I had another endoscopy and a motility test and was diiagnosied with Gastopareses.around 2012. It was difficult to find a diet that I could follow that didn’t flare one problem or another up. It’s been very frustrating, and times discouraging which has lead to my recent tests and diagnosis of LPR, hiatal hernia, narrowing of the esophogus at the stomach, espohogeal ulcerstion, gastroparesis, ibs and sigmoid colon diverticulitis. So I am very interested in any diet suggestions you or anyone might have. It truly effects all aspects of life, mentally, emotionally and physically. My husband and I really avoid going out or eating with others because of  all the problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.