Diet for diverticulitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

My wife has suffered with diverticulitis for several years. She was advised to avoid all food that had skins on it, which has led to a fairly restricted diet.

I have seen 2 items recently, one an NHS leaflet, saying that current thinking is this this restriction is no longer necessary.

Has anyone experience of adding skins to a previously restricted diet?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I was diagnosed in 2008. Back then I was getting severe pain every month. After the diagnoses I looked closely at what I was eating. Every month I was eating a trail mix for a few days each month when I was craving chocolate . The mix contained sunflower seeds, nuts, carob, sultanas etc. I was advised after diagnoses not to eat nuts, especially peanuts, as can get stuck. I could not give nuts up so just chew them really well and avoid peanuts. I did stop eating the trail mix due to the sunflower seeds. I try to avoid foods most of the time that has seeds like the trail mix, multi grain bread etc. I have hardly had an attack since. I normally eat a high fibre diet with lots of salads including food with skins with no issues.

Will get the odd niggle if I eat too many seeds or nuts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.