Diet for Kidney stones

Posted , 6 users are following.

Last yr I had 2 stones one on each side about 13 mm and was removed thru litho ....I am scared now cause im getting the same dull pain in one side ..how can it be this soon ....I am hearing that you should be on a low protein diet even though my doctor gve me a list of do's and dont's to eat and I have been following them closely ...is anyone else going on a low protein and how many grams should you be eating a day ....please advise ?? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It depends on what kind of stones you make. Mine are calcium oxalate. I used to make stones all the time. I quit drinking sweet tea and haven't formed a new stone since. I also started potassium, magnesium and b6. That has really seemed to help me.

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

I am trying to find a good supplement having potassium, magnesium and b6.   May i know the brand name of the supplement that you are taking.. also how many times during the day do you have this supplement

• Posted

I've been told contradictory info about food. But mainly, I'm told the dietary advice is not as big a deal as drinking a ton of water (like a gallon a day or more). In the end, I eat a little meat, some oxylate foods, calcium rich foods, tea and try to get as much water as I can choke down. Otherwise I will drive myself crazy trying to figure this out.

They can come on fairly fast. I passed six in May. By October I had grown a large one that wasn't there in May and had to have another procedure. There was a year between my first and second stone experience. Some of us are going to produce stones no matter what we do and others might only deal with it once or twice.

• Posted

Yes, I know Tea is a no- no ....I am trying to drink alot of water --Ill be honest its not my best friend...lol but Im working on it ....I just hope this stone can dissolve or pass quickly I really dont want to have to do the litho again ...ugh Thanks for the info 
  • Posted

Someone told me about Robinson's Lemon Barley Water apparently it s good for kidney stones.

Hope this helps.

I had stones removed keyhole surgery 6 weeks ago. Still a bit of pain but hugely better than what it was when I had the stones.

Do take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

• Posted

How big was your stone that was removed by keyhole?  I had an ultrasound yesterday and I have a 1.1cm stone.  I see doc on feb 7th to see what needs done.  Did you have a lot of pain with yours?
    • Posted

27mm. Quite a bit of pain with the stones. Thought I was doing OK but last few days pain has come back a bit. Saw GP this morning he examined me and thinks stones have come back!!! I have managed to get an appointment with consultant on 2nd March.
    • Posted

Wow that is  2.7cm.  My discomfort comes and goes.  I think its the way I sit or move around.  Right now it isn't bothering me so much.  I'm sure I will need to get something done.  I'm just tired of dealing with it.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.