diet help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Afternoon everyone,

Im struggling to find a suitable diet

that doesnt cause flare ups (constant bouts for 2 years now!)After being misdiagnosed as ibs I've now been confirmed to have chronic diverticular disease. The drs told me high fibre when good, low when it's flared up and that I don't need to stop eating nuts or seeds. I've cut out everything in stages except nuts and seeds so far no improvement. (Am a vegetarian so need protein sources)

Does anyone out there have any pearls of wisdom on this one?

Also another subject, find I'm struggling more with depression and a proper fear of eating now.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suzanne I was like you at first wouldn't eat for fear of starting a flare. But now I eat most things but not nuts seeds skins or much red meat. I would love a burger but can't. I have fybergel on a morning with bran flakes mabevarine and a probiotic tablet. I haven't had a flare for a few months now   I have found everyone is different it's trial and error. But I would think twice about eating nuts if you are having flares. Hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

I was very depressed at first I wouldn't even go out just incase I needed the toilet.i even cancelled my holiday  But I slowly realised it was unhealthy to stay in so I go out and carry spare underwear I still have down days but I manage to cope 

• Posted

Hi Suzanne. I have this problem to, but I won.t eat nuts as they kill my stomach. Maybe you should speak to your doctor about getting referred to  Psychologist for C.B.T.
    • Posted

C.B.T? Don't know what that is.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond, it has already made me feel better for feeling less alone, good to know there are others that understand.

• Posted

CBT is form of therapy for depression among other things. I found being on this forum helped me just knowing others felt the same made me les worried and depressed. I hope you feel better soon 
  • Posted

Thank you all for your advice, only had one blip of pain in 3 weeks so big THANK YOUstill looking for Fybogel here on france! Decided to try to make some lentil soup good protein and fibre. Well...., was gentle on the belly but oh my........ could have powered a car with the amount of gas I created! Did cause a lot of laughter so can't complain too much! Hope you are all doing ok out there

• Posted

Hi Suzanne

Does Amazon deliver to France?  If so you can order Fybogel online (or Metamucil is the same product but the USA name.  Are you vegan, or can you get protein through eggs and cheeses?  Have you tried cutting out wheat and gluten - my biggest problem?  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi falinia. I got my biopsys results from my GP today everything is fine the bloods they did were also fine. So it must be the IBS that's causing me all the problems x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.