Diet Ideas Please!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Eight weeks ago I had my gallbladder removed and since then have been following a low fat diet, but I'm getting sick and tired of eating plain, bland food.

Has anyone got any "easy and safe" suggestions for adding a bit of flavour to chicken and fish without causing chronic indigestion?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi my surgeon said to just eat normal food . I was nervous for a few days then I got given some maltessers....I ate one no side effect so ate 2 ,3 , 4 then waited no side effect ate more ... Well once I realised I could eat chocolate .. I tried chips no problem ..then I ate sensible food just eating a little then if ok next day yippee... I had had years of eating bland vegetarian food ..now I eat chic , beef, sausages etc and I have put on 21 pound in weight oops ... I don't have diarroeah like some . I have to eat bran as I get constipation. But my stomach has never been so solid ....

my op was a year ago. ..

so start testing out foods ...if a food is too fatty like rib eye steak I get an ache where my gallbladder was I think because my liver is having to work hard but it's so dull .. I don't mind it occasionally ..hope that helps 

• Posted

Hi, I had mine removed about 12 years ago and have been able to eat things like butter, cream, cheese etc ever since, I was told I could by my surgeon, so long as you don't go too mad you should be okay, I haven't had any problems whatsoever.
  • Posted

having had multiple stones removed, firstly in 1975 and again from my bile duct in 2010 two different surgeons recently told me not to bother with a low fat diet.  Whatever you eat makes your bile duct produce bile. Try something not too fatty and see how it goes.  The only thing I get now is bloating which I can cope with.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi i don't know why people think they have to have boring low fat meals once they have had their gb removed.Thats what you have to do before you have it out.I had mine removed about 5 years ago, I ate normally and when i found i was getting a bit of heartburn owing to the gb no longer being there.My doctor put me on oprezole once a day to deal with any acid i was making.I have since then ate what i want when i want it no problems.So my advice is see your doctor you shouldn't have to restrict your diet in any way.Just voicing my experience and hope it helps. 
  • Posted

Hi I had my GB out 16 weeks ago and I am still very careful with what I eat  because I can get or diahrrea ( coffee is a trigger) or bile reflux. I would just cook everthing with olive oil or any other healthy oil, meat or fish. It doesn't have to be completly bland, just healthy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.